Solve Energy Conservation Problem: 17 kg Child Descending 3.5m Slide

In summary, a child slides down a slide 3.5 meters high at a speed of 2.5 meters per second. The child generates 1/2 meter of kinetic energy at the beginning of the slide, 1/2 meter of initial potential energy, and friction along the way.
confusedbyphysics
Please help me, this is due tonight at 11 and I can't figure out what to do!

" A 17 kg child descends a slide 3.5 m high and reaches the bottom with a speed of 2.5 m/s. How much thermal energy due to friction was generated in this process?"

The equation should be:

kinetic energy intiial + potential energy initial = ke (final) + pe (final) + friction X distance travelled

so

1/2mv^2 (initial) + mgy (initial) = 1/2mv^2 (final) + mgy(final) + Friction X d

The problem is I don't know d!

0 (no initial KE) + (9.8)(17)(3.5) = 1/2(17)(2.5)^2 + 0 (no final potential energy) + friction X d!

What is D!

I tried making the slide a right triangle with 45 degree angles for the other two and using the pythagorean theorem...and got 5 for the distance..but I got a wrong answer..

huh, could someone PLEASE help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need D to find out the answer, one second ill post my toughts.

ok let's see... forgive me if I am wrong...

Change E system = Change E mechanical + Change E thermal

E thermal is the friction and its equal to friction force times delta S

Change in mechanical energy is Eo-Ef... so 0 = Eo-Ef + E thermal

so

-E thermal = Eo - Ef
- E thermal = PEo - KEf
E thermal = Kef-PEo
E thermal = -530.025 J

Alright i hope this helps and anyone correct me if I am wrong... thanks

Last edited:
Thanks. Hmm , my class hasn't learned how to do that yet. Is there any way to do it with the PE + KE = KE + PE + Fr (d)?

thats exactly what I am doing except I am not using the distance...

(PEo + KEo) - (PEf+KEf) = - Work Friction (which is equal to Fr (d) ) Oo

if you need to do further work with the friction you can use the result i got and do

Work friction = Force friction (d)

:X

Doh! You are right, seiya, the answer is 530. The friction work is Friction X d. For some reason I thought I was just looking for the force of friction. Stupid me.

Thank you for the help! :)

you are welcome , just helping while thinking about my problem and hoping someone will give me a hint :p

Related to Solve Energy Conservation Problem: 17 kg Child Descending 3.5m Slide

1. How does the weight of the child affect the amount of energy needed to descend the slide?

The weight of the child does not affect the amount of energy needed to descend the slide. The amount of energy required to overcome the force of gravity and slide down the slide is determined by the height of the slide and not the weight of the child.

2. What is the potential energy of the child at the top of the slide?

The potential energy of the child at the top of the slide can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the child (17 kg), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the slide (3.5 m). Therefore, the potential energy of the child at the top of the slide is 588.7 J.

3. How much kinetic energy does the child have at the bottom of the slide?

The kinetic energy of the child at the bottom of the slide can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the child (17 kg) and v is the velocity at the bottom of the slide. To find the velocity, we can use the formula v = √(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and h is the height of the slide (3.5 m). Therefore, the kinetic energy of the child at the bottom of the slide is 245.7 J.

4. What is the total energy of the child at the bottom of the slide?

The total energy of the child at the bottom of the slide is equal to the sum of the potential and kinetic energies. So, the total energy of the child at the bottom of the slide is 834.4 J (588.7 J + 245.7 J).

5. How can the energy conservation problem be solved for this scenario?

The energy conservation problem can be solved by applying the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In this scenario, the potential energy of the child at the top of the slide is converted into kinetic energy as they slide down. To solve the problem, we can use the formulas mentioned in the previous questions to calculate the potential and kinetic energies and then add them together to find the total energy of the child at the bottom of the slide.