Solve Enjoyable Enigmas with Mr.E's Challenge

• Thread starter Enigman
  • Start date
In summary: Four princes approach the king vying for the hand of the princess. In order to choose the best among the four suitors the king and the princess arrange a test: the suitors are brought to a large rectangular hall. The floor is covered with a carpet all over except at the corners- where there are four squares of bare floor and the suitors are told to stand at these corner. Each suitor takes a corner and stands there while the princess stands at the center of the hall. The king then proclaims the prince who without leaving their respective squares shall put a ring on the princess's hand will be declared to be the bridegroom of his daughter and the heir to Enigmania. No ropes or rods are
Oops didn't see your post lendav_rott...
-light? edit: or perhaps water?
-fire?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well until lendav_rott verifies or denies my answers I will post another one:
Ask me a question to which anyone can't honestly say 'yes' to.

Last edited:
both correct

Just for the sake of clarity I will repost the Enigma:

Enigman said:
Strange wording. If I paraphrase it as, "Is there a question to which no one can honestly answer 'yes'? If so, what is it?," am I asking the same question as you? Or have I altered your meaning?

:biggrin:

nevermind. here goes
Are you dead? If they were, they wouldn't be able to utter anything

e: thought of something else, both should work, technically speaking.
Are you asleep?

Last edited:
lendav_rott said:
nevermind. here goes
Are you dead? If they were, they wouldn't be able to utter anything

e: thought of something else, both should work, technically speaking.
Are you asleep?

Yes. :devil:
Those are correct.

We both are in a closed air-tight room with a single door. You have a banana, a shot gun and a box of tissue papers; I have a box full of matches. I give a psychopathic grin and tell you that the room has a 100% gaseous hydrogen as its atmosphere and take out a match to light it. What do you do?
(no Gad, this isn't the one)

Enigman said:
We both are in a closed air-tight room with a single door. You have a banana, a shot gun and a box of tissue papers; I have a box full of matches. I give a psychopathic grin and tell you that the room has a 100% gaseous hydrogen as its atmosphere and take out a match to light it. What do you do?
(no Gad, this isn't the one)

I would ignore you and shoot the lock off the door with the shotgun. If the atmosphere was really 100% hydrogen we'd both already be dead or nearly dead.

100%... I don't think there would be time to grin. :biggrin:

I would've believed it's the one you talked about if you didn't hum it. :biggrin:^2

Edit: Zshoe beat me to it.

zoobyshoe said:
I would ignore you and shoot the lock off the door with the shotgun. If the atmosphere was really 100% hydrogen we'd both already be dead or nearly dead.

We are alive and asphyxiation hasn't quite set in. The door isn't locked just turn the knob. But since you are so close:
I can't light a match anyway- no oxygen. Best way would be to confiscate my matches and walk out of the door.
And if you are angry enough- shoot the door from a distance with the shotgun and blow me up...

Enigman said:
We are alive and asphyxiation hasn't quite set in..

And no oxygen.. Is it a vacuum room we're talking about? :tongue: I'm waiting for the next puzzle. :biggrin:

We can hold our breath for five minutes without asphyxiating ...
(for the sake of the puzzle)
Next one:
You ask me where I come from?
Then hear me answer now.
My land starts as the world begins.
Only the ending of end now intervenes,
And at last comes the word
spoken when in doubt.
Solve this riddle mine
else remain in doubt.
-Mr.E

Last edited:
I do believe zoobie is going to find this queerly worded...
Well, the blame for this riddle lies entirely with Gad.
(Not that I'm complaining, I just got the chance to bore you all with my poem one last time(?)- in return for blowing me up in that room.:biggrin:)
BTW
the word you get from the enigma will be needed to be put before 'land'.- Just for the sake of clarity and making it viable to solve.

Last edited:
I believe it should be Earth, otherwise Wonderland. -__-

For some reason, I was thinking, "home."

Enigman said:
We are alive and asphyxiation hasn't quite set in. The door isn't locked just turn the knob. But since you are so close:
I can't light a match anyway- no oxygen. Best way would be to confiscate my matches and walk out of the door.
And if you are angry enough- shoot the door from a distance with the shotgun and blow me up...
There's a complication you haven't thought of, and which occurred to me this morning, which is that, if the atmosphere were actually 100% hydrogen, we both might break down laughing as soon as you spoke.

No doubt you've inhaled helium from a balloon and seen the effect it has on your voice. The speed of sound in hydrogen is even faster, and the effect would be more hilarious:

The speed of sound in helium is nearly three times the speed of sound in air. Because the fundamental frequency of a gas-filled cavity is proportional to the speed of sound in the gas, when helium is inhaled there is a corresponding increase in the resonant frequencies of the vocal tract.[7][107] The fundamental frequency (sometimes called pitch) does not change, since this is produced by direct vibration of the vocal folds, which is unchanged.[108] However, the higher resonant frequencies cause a change in timbre, resulting in a reedy, duck-like vocal quality. The opposite effect, lowering resonant frequencies, can be obtained by inhaling a dense gas such as sulfur hexafluoride or xenon.
-wiki

Speed of sound in Helium = 965 m/s. In hydrogen it's 1290 m/s!

The match should still create a spark which is enough to incinerate both people in the room.
If one person says something he will be holding his remaining breath for a much shorter time if he even was holding it in the first place. I don't think either of them are walking, realistically speaking. While H2 isn't as dangerous as pure O2 it should still create unpleasant sensations, not by inhaling, simply with the contact of the skin or the eyes and panic will follow.

lendav_rott said:
The match should still create a spark which is enough to incinerate both people in the room.
I don't follow. The hydrogen has nothing to combine with.

Gad said:
otherwise Wonderland. -__-

You could make a case for this:

beginning of the world = one

ending of end = d

word in doubt = Huh?

=

one d huh land

zoobyshoe said:
You could make a case for this:

beginning of the world = one

ending of end = d

word in doubt = Huh?

=

one d huh land

That's how Americans doubt. English people go, err.

One d err land. :biggrin:

To "err" is British. To "huh" is divine.

World
End
er...

A cowboy rides into town on a Friday afternoon. He stays in town for three nights, and then leaves on Friday.

How is this possible?

Ask the cowboy's horse.

*sigh*

Horse=Friday

Last edited:
He could stay in town for 10 years and left on a Friday morning.

Last edited:
First think of the person who lives in disguise,
who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies.
Next tell me what's always the last thing to mend,
the middle of the middle and end of the end?
Finally give me the sound often heard
during the search for a hard-to-find word.
Now string them together, and answer me this,
what creature would you be unwilling to kiss?
-J.K.Rowling

Enigman said:
First think of the person who lives in disguise,
who deals in secrets and tells naught but lies.
Next tell me what's always the last thing to mend,
the middle of the middle and end of the end?
Finally give me the sound often heard
during the search for a hard-to-find word.
Now string them together, and answer me this,
what creature would you be unwilling to kiss?
-J.K.Rowling

A spider.

This one is one of my favorites (no googling!)-

A dragon and knight live on an island. This island has seven poisoned wells, numbered 1 to 7. If you drink from a well, you can only save yourself by drinking from a higher numbered well. Well 7 is located at the top of a high mountain, so only the dragon can reach it.

One day they decide that the island isn't big enough for the two of them, and they have a duel. Each of them brings a glass of water to the duel, they exchange glasses, and drink. After the duel, the knight lives and the dragon dies.

Why did the knight live? Why did the dragon die?

Now, that was delicious.
Knight drank the water from a well numbered between 1-6 before coming to the duel and brought pure water to the duel while dragon brought water from 7. After the exchange of glasses Knight was cured by dragon's water while the dragon thinking that water was poisoned went and drank from 7 to cure it and hence died.
Am I Correct?

zoobyshoe said:
A cowboy rides into town on a Friday afternoon. He stays in town for three nights, and then leaves on Friday.

How is this possible?

The town's latitude is large, putting the town within the arctic circle or within the antarctic circle. The cowboy stays in town for around three years, more-or-less (three winters anyway, whatever the case).

collinsmark said:
The town's latitude is large, putting the town within the arctic circle or within the antarctic circle. The cowboy stays in town for around three years, more-or-less (three winters anyway, whatever the case).
This answer should also be counted as correct. Gad and Enigman both already got the usual answer, (which fits a bit better, considering most wouldn't ride a horse that far north or south) : the horse is named Friday.

consciousness said:
A dragon and knight live on an island. This island has seven poisoned wells, numbered 1 to 7. If you drink from a well, you can only save yourself by drinking from a higher numbered well. Well 7 is located at the top of a high mountain, so only the dragon can reach it.

One day they decide that the island isn't big enough for the two of them, and they have a duel. Each of them brings a glass of water to the duel, they exchange glasses, and drink. After the duel, the knight lives and the dragon dies.

Why did the knight live? Why did the dragon die?
Assuming the dragon would give him #6 water, the knight drank #5, (or a lower #) water before the duel. His drink during the duel was, in fact, his antidote. He, however, gave the dragon plain water, figuring the dragon would go straight to #7 as the pan-antidote. The dragon had no higher number to drink from once he realized he was poisoned, and hence died.

zoobyshoe said:
Assuming the dragon would give him #6 water, the knight drank #5, (or a lower #) water before the duel. His drink during the duel was, in fact, his antidote. He, however, gave the dragon plain water, figuring the dragon would go straight to #7 as the pan-antidote. The dragon had no higher number to drink from once he realized he was poisoned, and hence died.

Yes, that was my answer too; but the dragon wouldn't bring #6- he would bring #7 as there is no antidote for #7...just nitpicking.
EDIT: On a bit of further thought the knight will probably be safer drinking from #1.

Last edited: