Forgotten Fractions? Get Guidance Here!

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving fractions and powers. The person initially tried solving it by trial and error but forgot the basic concept of fractions. They were advised to divide by the reciprocal and reduce terms, and also factor out common terms. Another tip was to square root both sides to get rid of even powers larger than 2. The person tried factoring out a common term of 3 but still struggled with isolating the x variable due to its varying powers.
jin.cao
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1967/25616732jw6.jpg [Broken]

i got answer of 0.4
by trial and error, but i have seem to forgotten the basic of fraction...

please guide me thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dividing by something is the same as multiplying by that something's reciprocal.

i have tried that but still the power is larger than a quadratic, so i wasnt able to solve it

Reduce the [tex]4-2x[/tex] terms and also with the left over [tex]4-2x[/tex] you can factor out a common term of 2.

Factor our a common term of 3 in [tex]3-3x[/tex] and keep going from there.

Another tip is to square root both sides to get rid of the even powers larger than 2 after you've done all that.

did factor out the 3 it becomes 27, i think
and canceled some of the 4-2x , as you suggested

but the main problem for me is still so much x,
cant really isolate it, because i tried expanding it
and i get like x^1 , x^2, x^3, X^4...
and do not know how to solve those

1. What are Forgotten Fractions?

Forgotten Fractions refer to fractions that have been neglected or overlooked in the learning process. These fractions are often not taught in depth or are not revisited, leading to a lack of understanding and retention.

2. Why are Forgotten Fractions important to learn?

Forgotten Fractions are essential to understand because they are commonly used in everyday life, such as in cooking, measurement, and financial calculations. Additionally, they serve as building blocks for more advanced math concepts.

3. What are some common examples of Forgotten Fractions?

Some common examples of Forgotten Fractions include mixed numbers, improper fractions, and fractions greater than one. Other examples include fractions with unlike denominators and fractions that require simplification.

4. How can one overcome difficulties in understanding Forgotten Fractions?

To overcome difficulties in understanding Forgotten Fractions, one can practice with various examples, use visual aids such as fraction bars or number lines, and seek help from a tutor or teacher. It is also helpful to review basic fraction concepts and terminology.

5. How can Forgotten Fractions be incorporated into the learning process?

Forgotten Fractions can be incorporated into the learning process by introducing them early on and building upon the concepts throughout the curriculum. It is also crucial to revisit and review fractions regularly to reinforce understanding and retention.