1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Solve for n

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    How do I go about solving the following equation for n? From inspection, it seems that this equation is not possible since 2n is always positive so positive + 2= 0 is impossible.

2n+ 2 = 0

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2017 #2
    If ##n## is supposed to be a real number (or integer) the equation has no solution. But, if ##n## can be complex the equation has solutions.

4. Apr 29, 2017 #3
    Ok that makes sense. It is not mentioned that n is a real number. For complex solutions how would I start solving this?

5. Apr 29, 2017 #4
    Rearranging the equation, you have
    ##2^n=-2## or
    ##2^{n-1}=-1##
    Use then the polar form ##z=re^{i\theta}## of a complex number.

6. Apr 29, 2017 #5
    So, I would express 2 in polar form and also -1 in polar form.
    ∴ 2 = 2 e2kπi where k is any integer
    and -1 = eπi.

I am not sure what value of k would I take when expressing 2 in polar form since k could be any integer?

7. Apr 30, 2017 #6
    I think it might be easier to take original equation so we have 2n= -2, then take ln of both sides and express only -2 in polar form.

Another important idea relating to solving for an unknown in an equation is that when the unknown variable appears in a power, then taking log of both sides can help as a first step to the solution.
    In this problem, the unknown n appears in the power, therefore it would be a good idea to take log of both sides as a first step, which is what is done below.

ln(2n) = ln(-2)
    n ln2 = ln (2eπi)
    n ln2 = ln2 + ln(eπi)
    n ln2 = ln2 + iπ lne
    n ln2 = ln2 + iπ
    n = 1 + i (π/ln2)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted