1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve in R

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    solve in R

[tex](x^2+2)^{1/3}+(4x^2+3x-2)^{1/3}=(3x^2+x+5)^{1/3}+(2x^2+2x-5)^{1/3}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any thoughts?

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

You should notice that:
    (x2 + 2) + (4x2 + 3x - 2) = (3x2 + x + 5) + (2x2 + 2x - 5) = 5x2 + 3x.

So, if you let: [tex]\alpha = x ^ 2 + 2[/tex]
    [tex]\beta = 3x ^ 2 + x + 5[/tex]
    and [tex]\gamma = 5x ^ 2 + 3x[/tex]

Then, your original equation will becomes:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\beta} + \sqrt[3]{\gamma - \beta}[/tex]

When [tex]\gamma = 0[/tex], both sides equal 0, so this is one obvious solution. You'll get 2 (of a toal 4) solutions when setting [tex]\gamma = 0[/tex], and solve for x.

On graphing it, I can see there are actually 4 solutions.. Not sure how you can obtain another 2 solutions. :frown:

5. Jan 28, 2008 #4
    it has got only one solution i.e 0

6. Jan 28, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure that
    [tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{-\alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\alpha - \alpha} = 0[/tex]

7. Jan 28, 2008 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

We are working in the reals, aren't we?

Btw, it's not like that, since: [tex]\sqrt[3]{a} + \sqrt[3]{b} \neq \sqrt[3]{a + b}[/tex].

It should've read:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{\alpha} + \sqrt[3]{-\alpha} = \sqrt[3]{\alpha} - \sqrt[3]{\alpha} = 0[/tex][/QUOTE]

:)

8. Jan 28, 2008 #7

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, we are working in the reals, and the identity I gave obviously doesn't hold.. that's what confused me.
    I still don't really get what you try to do. Setting [itex]\gamma = 0[/itex] means that
    [tex]\gamma = 5 x^2 + 3 x = x(5 x + 3) = 0[/tex]
    so x = 0 or x = -3/5.
    Taking x = 0 the formula becomes
    [tex]\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{-2} = \sqrt[3]{5} + \sqrt[3]{-5}[/tex]
    which, numerically, is something like
    [tex]1.89 + 1.09 i = 2.56 + 1.48 i[/tex]

So it appears I didn't get what you were trying to say...

Instead, there appear to be two real (non-zero) solutions and two complex solutions (which we are not interested in). I have no idea how to find them though.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  9. Jan 28, 2008 #8

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Well, no. We are not working in the complex. "i" belongs to the complex, not the reals. In the complex, [tex]\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex] has 3 different values (for a <> 0), so actually [tex]\sqrt[3]{a} + \sqrt[3]{b}[/tex] has at most 6 different values.

Whereas, in the reals, [tex]\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex] only has one value, i.e, the real number whose cubed is a.

E.g, we have: [tex]\sqrt[3]{8} + \sqrt[3]{-8} = 2 + (-2) = 0[/tex] (since (-2)3 = -8)

In general, we have: [tex]\sqrt[3]{-a} = -\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex].

Proof:

Let [tex]b = \sqrt[3]{a}[/tex], b is unique, since we are in the reals.
    [tex]\Rightarrow b ^ 3 = a[/tex] (the definition of cube root)
    [tex]\Rightarrow - b ^ 3 = -a[/tex] (take the additive inverse of both sides)
    [tex]\Rightarrow (- b) ^ 3 = -a[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow - b = \sqrt[3]{-a}[/tex] (again, the definition of cube root).
    So we have [tex]\sqrt[3]{-a} = -\sqrt[3]{a}[/tex] (Q.E.D)

And so, that means:

[tex]\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{-2} = \sqrt[3]{2} - \sqrt[3]{2} = 0 = \sqrt[3]{5} + \sqrt[3]{-5}[/tex]

Is everything clear now? :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  10. Jan 29, 2008 #9
    good work but

let [tex]$ \sqrt[3]{x^2+2}=a, \ \sqrt[3]{4x^2+3x-2}=b, \ \sqrt[3]{3x^2+x+5}=c, \ \sqrt[3]{2x^2+2x-5}=d.[/tex]

these may be help

11. Jan 29, 2008 #10

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Then, how will you go from there?? :confused: :confused:

12. Jan 29, 2008 #11

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\alpha=\beta[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\gamma=\alpha + \beta[/tex]

Are obviously solutions - no idea if that gets you anything.

Edit: Looks like those are all imaginary solutions.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  13. Jan 29, 2008 #12

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Well, ya, why didn't I think of it before. Damn it. >.<

[tex]\alpha = \beta[/tex] will gives you 2 solutions in the complex, whereas [tex]\gamma = \alpha + \beta[/tex] will give you another 2 real solutions as wishes.

If you are allowed to graph, and then solve for x, then it's done. Woohoo. But if you are not allowed to graph :(, then you must first prove that it has at most 4 solutions, then point out all the 4 solutions.

But well, I think, in this problem, you are allowed to use graph. :biggrin:

14. Feb 5, 2008 #13

Let

[tex]\alpha=x^2+2,\,\beta=4x^2+3x-2\,\gamma=3x^2+x+5,\,\delta=2x^2+2x-5[/tex]

with [itex]\alpha\neq 0,\,\beta\neq 0,\,\gamma \neq 0,\delta\neq 0[/itex] since the roots of these equations does not satisfy the original equation. Then

[tex]\alpha^{1/3}+\beta^{1/3}=\gamma^{1/3}+\delta^{1/3}\neq 0 \quad (1)[/tex] and
    [tex]\alpha+\beta=\gamma+\delta \quad (2)[/tex]

Raising (1) to the 3rd power

[tex]\alpha+3\,\alpha^{2/3}\,\beta^{1/3}+3\,\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{2/3}+\beta=\gamma+3\,\gamma^{2/3}\,\delta^{1/3}+3\,\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{2/3}+\delta\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]3\,\alpha^{2/3}\,\beta^{1/3}+3\,\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{2/3}=3\,\gamma^{2/3}\,\delta^{1/3}+3\,\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{2/3}\Rightarrow \quad \text{from (2)} [/tex]

[tex]\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{1/3}\,(\alpha^{1/3}+\beta^{1/3})=\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{1/3}\,(\gamma^{1/3}+\delta^{1/3})\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\alpha^{1/3}\,\beta^{1/3}=\gamma^{1/3}\,\delta^{1/3}\Rightarrow \quad \text{from (1)}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha\,\beta=\gamma\,\delta \quad (3)[/tex]

Thus we have to solve the system of (1), (2), (3) which is rather simple. From (3) we have

[tex]\frac{\alpha}{\gamma}=\frac{\delta}{\beta}=k[/tex]

which makes (2)

[tex](k-1)\,\gamma=(k-1)\,\beta[/tex]

with [itex]k\neq 1[/itex] because leads to inconsistency the original equation. Thus [itex]\gamma=\beta[/itex] and from (2) [itex]\alpha=\delta[/itex], with the final answer

[tex]x=-1-2\,\sqrt{2},\, x=-1+2\,\sqrt{2}[/tex]​

P.S. I hope this time the mentors would not delete this post, after the conversation we had about santa's threads.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?