Solve Inequality: x - 1 = 1 - x | Tom Thanks

• Thread starter tomcenjerrym
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation |x-1| = 1-x and understanding the concept of absolute value. The participants discuss different methods to solve the equation and clarify that it is an absolute value equation, not an inequality. The final solution is x<=1 and the conversation ends with thanks and appreciation for the helpful explanations.
tomcenjerrym
Does anyone can solve the following equation?

|x − 1| = 1 − x

Thanks

Tom

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes I can. Thanks for inquiring!

Sorry, that's unfair - it's your first post. Can you show us the work you have so far? Do you understand what absolute value means?

tomcenjerrym said:

|x − 1| = 1 − x

Thanks

Tom
Square both sides. And see what you get.

Kummer said:
A more introductory way is to consider (x -1) as separately positive, and negative.

If x - 1 is positive, then x - 1 = 1 - x;
If x - 1 is negative, then x - 1 = -(1 - x )

tomcenjerrym said:

|x − 1| = 1 − x

Thanks

Tom

Actually, that is not an inequality question; but an absolute value equation.

If you have |a| = -a, what is the only way this can be true?

Sorry, that's unfair - it's your first post. Can you show us the work you have so far? Do you understand what absolute value means?

This is the solutions which is done by myself:

|x − 1| = 1 − x
x − 1 = ±(1 − x)

First
x − 1 = +(1 − x)
= 1 − x

Second
x − 1 = −(1 − x)
= −1 + x
= x − 1

By |x| = ±x properties.

Actually, that is not an inequality question; but an absolute value equation.

That's absolutely correct. I mean ABSOLUTE VALUE QUESTION. Thanks for remind me about that.

Why should I square-ing both sides of them? This is the most question I want to know in the ABSOLUTE VALUE. As I can read on Calculus book, there is no rules about SQUARE on absolute value except the |x| = √x^2 one. Can you explain me further about this?

tomcenjerrym - Your first condition yields x=0 as a solution; and your second condition allows ALL real numbers as solutions. All real numbers will satisfy the equation.

symbolipoint said:
tomcenjerrym - Your first condition yields x=0 as a solution; and your second condition allows ALL real numbers as solutions. All real numbers will satisfy the equation.

No they won't. Take x=5 as an example |5-1|=|4|=4, but 1-5=-4, so in this case |x-1| does not equal 1-x, hence it is obviously not true for all real numbers. There is, however, a subset of the real numbers (with more than a single element) that satisfies the above equation.

d_leet said:
No they won't. Take x=5 as an example |5-1|=|4|=4, but 1-5=-4, so in this case |x-1| does not equal 1-x, hence it is obviously not true for all real numbers. There is, however, a subset of the real numbers (with more than a single element) that satisfies the above equation.
You're correct. I was not careful enough when I solved the problem. We must watch around the critical point. The first part indicates x=1. When we check a value less than 1, we find equality; when we check a point greater than 1, we do not find equality.

The solution seems to be x<=1

If you have |a| = -a, what is the only way this can be true?

I like nicktacik way to solve the problem. It’s simple and easy to understand. Thank you very much nicktacik and thank you to everyone too.

The title "Inequality Question" is thus not entirely wrong, since the solution is an inequality.

nicktacik,

ya, his answer was kind of making me suddenly awake!

Related to Solve Inequality: x - 1 = 1 - x | Tom Thanks

1. How do I solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign and keep the constant terms on the other side. Then, you can use inverse operations to solve for the variable. In this case, you can use addition and subtraction to isolate the variable.

2. What does the symbol "|" mean in this inequality?

The symbol "|" is called a bar or vertical line and it means "such that". It is used to separate the variable and the inequality expression.

3. Can I solve an inequality with only one variable?

Yes, an inequality can be solved with only one variable. In this case, the variable is "x".

4. Why does this inequality have two equal signs?

In this case, the equal signs indicate that the expressions on both sides of the inequality are equal. This allows us to use inverse operations to solve for the variable.

5. What is the solution to this inequality?

The solution to this inequality is x = 1. This means that when x is equal to 1, the inequality is true. You can check this by plugging in x = 1 into the original inequality and seeing if it holds true.