Solve K-Map Homework: Practice Using K-Maps

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
In summary: Nice job!#2.)that is not correct, i know that because the expression a does not work in this case.Your correction to #1 is still not correct. look at your final answer for #2 in your original work. It is very close to being correct. You can get to that point simply by looking at the loops.That being said, you have a redundant term in your final answerI missed a one on the bottom right corner there, it should be:e e 1 ee 1 1 ee 1 1 e1 1 1
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1. Draw the K-Map for ##F = a \bar b + b \bar c d + cd + \bar a c d + a \bar b \bar c d## and minimize the expression.

2. Find a simplified expression for the K-map:

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 2.20.14 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My work for each question is shown in the image below. I hope that I have done everything properly:

IMG_0527.jpg

If someone could verify my work it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you have don't cares? either you are not using them correctly, or there is information you are not giving us.
Also I am fairly certain your kmap is not correct.

donpacino said:
Why do you have don't cares? either you are not using them correctly, or there is information you are not giving us.
Also I am fairly certain your kmap is not correct.

The don't cares are given as stated, and the questions are given exactly as I've mentioned in the first post.

What leads you to believe my K-Map for the first problem is incorrect?

Zondrina said:
The don't cares are given as stated, and the questions are given exactly as I've mentioned in the first post.

What leads you to believe my K-Map for the first problem is incorrect?
ohhh my god, I thought the Kmap show above was the Kmap from the first problem. disregard what I said before...For problem #1 I would check your work again

for number 2, you can get it simpler. Why are you doing so much algebra. The beauty of the K map allows you to create the logic functions simply.
I only did one algebra step.

donpacino said:
ohhh my god, I thought the Kmap show above was the Kmap from the first problem. disregard what I said before...For problem #1 I would check your work again

No problem, perhaps it was a little confusing.

I assume the K-Map for the first problem is wrong because it should look like this:

e e 1 e
e 1 1 e
e 1 1 e
1 1 1 e

Where I used e to denote an empty spot on the map.

For the second question, I can't see how to get it any simpler. I thought the loops I used were as large as possible.

Zondrina said:
No problem, perhaps it was a little confusing.

I assume the K-Map for the first problem is wrong because it should look like this:

e e 1 e
e 1 1 e
e 1 1 e
1 1 1 e

Where I used e to denote an empty spot on the map.

For the second question, I can't see how to get it any simpler. I thought the loops I used were as large as possible.
your correction to #1 is still not correct. look at your AB' term.

for the second question I have two comments. You don't need all that algebra. It defeats the purpose of using a kmap. it should be 1, maybe two steps.
That being said, you have a redundant term in your final answer

Oh whoops, I missed a one on the bottom right corner there, it should be:

e e 1 e
e 1 1 e
e 1 1 e
1 1 1 1

Then taking the biggest loops I get ##F = a \bar b + bd + \bar a c d## for the first problem.

Upon looking at the second problem with a different vision now, I believe It should be:

$$F = c \bar d + a \bar b + a + \bar a \bar b \bar c \bar d = a + c \bar d + \bar a \bar b \bar c \bar d$$.

#1.) Nice job!

#2.)that is not correct, i know that because the expression a does not work in this case.
look at your final answer for #2 in your original work. It is very close to being correct. You can get to that point simply by looking at the loops.

Likes STEMucator
That's weird, thought I had it that time. I see the problem now though, I have an extra loop along the bottom row that's been confusing me.

So removing that extra loop, I have three loops. The one along the right column, the one along the bottom half of the left column, and the one surrounding the four corners. Reading the loops off I get:

$$F = c \bar d + a \bar c \bar d + \bar b \bar d = \bar d [ c + a \bar c + \bar b] = \bar d [ a + \bar b + c ]$$

Last edited:
thats what I got.

Related to Solve K-Map Homework: Practice Using K-Maps

What is a K-Map?

A Karnaugh map, also known as a K-Map, is a graphical method used to simplify boolean algebra expressions. It is a tool commonly used in digital logic design and is based on the concept of grouping and combining adjacent cells to reduce the number of terms in a boolean expression.

How do I fill out a K-Map?

To fill out a K-Map, you will need to know the number of variables in your boolean expression. You will then fill in the cells of the map with the corresponding values of the variables. The cells in a K-Map are arranged in a specific order, so it is important to understand how the cells are numbered and grouped. Once all the values are filled in, you can start grouping and combining adjacent cells to simplify the expression.

What is the purpose of using a K-Map?

The main purpose of using a K-Map is to simplify a boolean expression. By grouping and combining adjacent cells, you can reduce the number of terms in a boolean expression, making it easier to understand and implement in logic circuits. K-Maps also provide a visual representation of the expression, making it easier to spot patterns and identify simplification opportunities.

Are there any rules for simplifying a K-Map?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when simplifying a K-Map. The most important rule is that adjacent cells must differ by only one variable. This means that you can only combine cells that are next to each other, either horizontally or vertically. Additionally, cells can only be grouped if they are in a power of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, etc.) and there should be no overlapping or gaps in the groups.

Can I use a K-Map for expressions with more than 4 variables?

Yes, K-Maps can be used for expressions with more than 4 variables. However, the map will become larger and more complex to work with. As the number of variables increases, it may be more efficient to use other methods for simplification, such as algebraic manipulation or truth tables. K-Maps are typically used for expressions with 4 or fewer variables.