Solve Limit Problem: 9-t/3-sqrt(t) & x^2-81/sqrt(x)-3 | Expert Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter ocean09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about finding limits for two different problems. The first one involves simplifying an expression with a limit and the second one involves substituting a value for the variable. The conversation also briefly mentions using math symbols and factoring to solve the problems. There is also a question about how to show work using a special program.
ocean09
hi guys,

I need help w/ finding the limit for the following problem:

lim 9-t/3- radical t =
t-->9

lim x^2-81/radical x -3
t-->0
Another question, how do you guys do those

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the question. Is the first one:
[tex]\lim_{t\rightarrow 9} 9-\frac{t}{3} -\sqrt{t}[/tex]?
If so, this is not difficult because it is the sum of three continuous functions.
For the second, is it:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x^2-\frac{81}{\sqrt{x}}-3[/tex]?
If so, then this is also not difficult since the limits of the first and last terms are finite while that of the middle term is not. (I'm assuming that 't' in the second one is supposed to be an 'x'. If not then I don't understand.)

To see how to make these math symbols, click on them.

probably safer to assume the limits he wants are

[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 9} \frac{9-t}{3-\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2-81}{\sqrt{x}-3}.[/tex]

The second one is continuous at 0 so you can just sub x=0 in. Are you sure it's not [itex]x \rightarrow 9[/itex] again?

For the first one, you can factor it. I'll let you try for yourself first.

Data said:
probably safer to assume the limits he wants are

[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 9} \frac{9-t}{3-\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{x^2-81}{\sqrt{x}-3}.[/tex]

You are correct.

The second one is continuous at 0 so you can just sub x=0 in. Are you sure it's not [itex]x \rightarrow 9[/itex] again?

oops. That was a typo. it's x-->9

For the first one, you can factor it. I'll let you try for yourself first.

Factor? I thought I'm supposed to multiply top and bottom by radical x -3...correct me if I'm wrong...

This might be a stupid question.

How do you guys show your work like that? Is there a special program?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Limit Problem: 9-t/3-sqrt(t) & x^2-81/sqrt(x)-3 | Expert Tips & Tricks

1. What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a type of mathematical question that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input (x) approaches a specific value. It involves evaluating the behavior of a function near a specific point or value.

2. How do you solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, or L'Hopital's rule. It is also important to understand the properties and rules of limits, such as the limit laws, to correctly solve the problem.

3. What is the purpose of using tips and tricks in solving limit problems?

The purpose of using tips and tricks in solving limit problems is to make the process more efficient and to avoid common mistakes. These tips and tricks can also help in understanding the concept better and provide alternative methods for solving the problem.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is when the input (x) approaches a specific value from only one direction (either from the left or right side), while a two-sided limit is when the input approaches the value from both directions. One-sided limits are used when the function is not defined at a specific point, while two-sided limits are used when the function is defined at the point but may have different values from the left and right side.

5. Can limit problems have more than one solution?

No, limit problems can only have one solution. The limit is the value that the function approaches as its input approaches a specific value, and it is unique. However, there can be different methods or approaches to solving the problem, which may result in the same solution.