1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve Nonlinear System of Equations

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    Hi, I have a set of vectors that I would like to solve for in a nonlinear system of equations.

I have tried to use scipy.fsolve to solve the system, but without success. I believe the problem is that scipy expects the same number of inputs as outputs. I have a 12x1 input vector, but I can only generate 9 independent equations.

I would appreciate any help with this, for example how I could over-constrain the problem, or am I missing something?

The vectors {C,R1,R2,R3} are all (3x1). There are also a set of (3x1) vectors {S1,S2,S3} that are known.

The equations are as follows:

CTR1=S1 (1)

CTR2=S2 (2)

CTR3=S3 (3)

and finally

[R1 R2 R3]T[R1 R2 R3]=I

which can be reduced to

R1TR1=R2TR2=R3TR3=1 (4,5,6)

R1TR2=R2TR3=R3TR1=0 (7,8,9)

R2TR1=R3TR2=R1TR3=0 Would give me 12 equations, but they are exactly the same as Equations 7,8,9.

So I dont know how to proceed. I would appreciate if anybody could point me in a direction, or to a matlab/scipy routine.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2
    I think I have it, I cannot solve the system without an additional set of constraints.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook