Solve PDE Uxx+Uyy=-2 with Boundary Conditions

In summary, the characterizing equation for the solution to the Laplace equation is μ^2-m^2=0, and the solutions are given by A cos μx +B sin μx.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
solve the inhomogenous pde below by considering the boundary conditions given
Relevant Equations
separation of variables.
1614169978889.png
ial

this is the question.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
its very long since i solved such questions during my post graduate class, i am trying to see if i can remember...
i attempted to solve the homogenous part, i just want to know if i am on the right track...
1614170283272.png

am i thinking right or i am missing something...from literature i can see that this does not qualify to be solved by the approach i have used of trying to solve homogenous pde...breaking them into ode. Since we have ##-2## on the rhs then it becomes poisson equation?

Last edited:
As with any linear problem the answer is "take something which satisfies the RHS and add something from the kernel".

So here: Find a function of (x,y) which satisfies [itex]\nabla^2 f = -2[/itex] and add solutions of Laplace's equation to satisfy the boundary condition. This is easier if your particular solution satisfies as much of the boundary condition as possible. Here I think you have less work if your function vanishes on [itex]x = 0[/itex] and [itex]x = 1[/itex].

Here you have [itex]u(x,0) = u(x,1) = u(1,-x) = -\sinh \pi \sin(\pi x)[/itex].

Don't forget that you can use [itex]\cosh (kx)[/itex] and [itex]\sinh(kx)[/itex] in place of [itex]e^{\pm kx}[/itex] and that [itex]\sinh(k(1 - x))[/itex] is a linear combination of these.

Likes chwala
I should be able to look at this during december...i have had too much work on my desk... and at same time need to familiarise with literature on inhomegenous pde's...

* Am on this now...allow me to deal with it slowly...am now conversant with pde's. This is Laplace equation...steady-state equation (Equilibrium solution).

We shall solve this by separation of variables, we shall seek solutions of the form:

##U(x,y) = X(x) Y(y)##

For the Homogenous part we shall have;

##X^{''}(x) Y(y) + X(x) Y^{''} (y) = 0##

it follows that,

##\dfrac{X^{''}(x)}{X(x)} = -\dfrac{Y^{''}(y)}{Y(y)} =±μ^2##

case 1; using eigenvalue ##[λ=μ^2]##

##X^{''} -μ^2X=0##
##Y^{''}+μ^2Y=0##

##X^{''} -μ^2X=0##

it follows that

##m^2-μ^2=0## is our characteristic equation, solving we get;

##m^2=μ^2##

##⇒m=\sqrt{μ^2}=μ## our solution would therefore be of the form;

##X=e^{μx}=A \cosh μx +B \sinh μx##

##X=A \cosh μx +B \sinh μx##

...will continue later.

Last edited:
Solution
[tex]
u(x,y) = x(1-x) - \sum_{n=1}^\infty Y_n(y) a_n \sin (n \pi x) + \sinh(\pi x)\sin(\pi y)
- ( \sinh (\pi y) + \sinh (\pi(1 - y)) )\sin (\pi x)[/tex] where [tex]
Y_n(y) = \frac{\sinh(n\pi y) + \sinh(n\pi(1-y))}{\sinh (n \pi)}
[/tex] is chosen such that [itex]Y_n(0) = Y_n(1) = 1[/itex] and [tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n \sin (n \pi x) = x(1-x).[/tex]

Likes chwala

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What does Uxx+Uyy=-2 mean in the context of a PDE?

This equation represents a second-order PDE, where U is the dependent variable and x and y are the independent variables. The terms Uxx and Uyy represent the second partial derivatives of U with respect to x and y, respectively. The constant -2 is the forcing term, which describes the external influence on the system.

3. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are additional equations or constraints that are used to solve a PDE. They specify the behavior of the dependent variable U at the boundaries of the domain, which helps to determine a unique solution to the PDE.

4. How do you solve a PDE with boundary conditions?

To solve a PDE with boundary conditions, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, finite difference methods, or numerical techniques. The specific approach will depend on the type of PDE and the given boundary conditions.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a PDE with boundary conditions?

Sure, for the PDE Uxx+Uyy=-2 with the boundary conditions U(0,y)=0, U(x,0)=0, and U(x,1)=sin(x), we can use the method of separation of variables to obtain the solution U(x,y) = (sinh(1-y)sin(x))/sinh(1), where sinh is the hyperbolic sine function. This solution satisfies the given boundary conditions and the PDE.