Solve Slit Grating Problem: Compute Wavelength of Light

In summary, when light from a gaseous discharge tube is incident on a grating with a slit separation of 2.23 μm, sharp maxima for a certain wavelength are produced at angles θ = -17.1° and +17.1°. The wavelength of the light can be computed using the equation n(\lambda + 1/2) = d sin\theta, but it's possible that there is no central maximum due to destructive interference. However, there may not be enough information given to solve the problem definitively.
Xile
1. With light from a gaseous discharge tube incident normally on a grating with slit separation 2.23 μm, sharp maxima for a certain wavelength of light are produced at angles θ = -17.1° and +17.1°. Compute the wavelength of the light in nanometers.

2. I thought this would work... (wavelength) = d * sin θ, but it turns out its a bit more complicated, i can't find anything in my books to describe a situation like this or how to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think the equation you mentioned [tex]n \lambda = d sin\theta[/tex] would work. The only think I can think of is that the problem seems to imply that there is no central maximum, meaning that for [tex]\theta =0[/tex] the superimposed waves destrucively interfere. In that case, I think you use [tex]n(\lambda + 1/2) = d sin\theta[/tex] , but I'm not sure about that.

It seems to me that there are not enough information to solve the question. A maxima is formed from a double slit when the difference between the distance from each slit to a point is a multiple of the wavelength. If the light is coherent and basically the same, there should be a zeroth order maxima between the slits.

Related to Solve Slit Grating Problem: Compute Wavelength of Light

1. How do you calculate the wavelength of light using a slit grating?

The wavelength of light can be calculated using the equation λ = dsinθ, where λ is the wavelength, d is the distance between the slits in the grating, and θ is the angle between the incident light and the normal to the grating surface.

2. What is a slit grating and how does it work?

A slit grating is a device made up of parallel slits placed close together, which acts as a diffraction grating. When light passes through the slits, it diffracts and creates an interference pattern, allowing for the calculation of the wavelength of light.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the wavelength using a slit grating?

The accuracy of calculating the wavelength using a slit grating can be affected by factors such as the distance between the slits, the angle of incidence, the quality of the grating, and any external sources of light that may interfere with the pattern.

4. How can the slit grating method be used in real-life applications?

The slit grating method is commonly used in spectroscopy, where the wavelength of light can provide valuable information about the composition of a substance. It is also used in various scientific experiments and in the development of new technologies such as lasers and optical devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using a slit grating to calculate the wavelength of light?

One limitation of using a slit grating is that it can only measure a limited range of wavelengths, depending on the distance between the slits. Additionally, external factors such as the quality of the light source and the grating can affect the accuracy of the measurement.