Solve Statics Problems: Finding Forces in Members AB, BH, OH"

• Thread starter Idividebyzero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force in members AB, BH, and OH. The forces at point O are 3000 lb, 5000 lb downward on A, 1000 lb in the -x direction at A, and 7000 lb in the -y direction at C. The reaction forces at points D and E are statically indeterminate. The speaker has successfully found the force in member AB using the method of joints, but is unsure about the other members. They consider using the method of sections and have found the force in member OH. Eventually, they are able to figure out the rest of the problem.
Idividebyzero
1.find the force in members AB BH OH

Untitled-27.png

the forces at O is 3000 lb at O, 5000 lb downward on A and 1000 lb -x direction at A. and 7000 lb -y direction at C. reaction forces at D and E are statically indeterminant.

3. sorry for the crappy sketch. I've gotten AB correct taking method of joints cutting through members ab,hb,hg and taking the moment about H. also their is a pin at D and E that normally have external reaction forces in the x and y direction however the problem mentions that they are statically indeterminant. not sure where to go from here on the other members i thought about using the same method of joints cut and taking the moment about O.

Physics news on Phys.org
and i meant method of sections not joints

scratch off force in member OH found it using method of joints at O

never mind i figured the rest of it out as well

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the given information and identifying the unknown forces. In this case, we are looking for the forces in members AB, BH, and OH.

To find the force in member AB, we can use the method of joints and cut through the members AB, HB, and HG. By taking the moment about point H, we can solve for the force in AB. This is a valid approach and it seems like you have already successfully solved for the force in AB using this method.

However, for the other members BH and OH, we cannot use the same method of joints since they do not have a joint at point H. Instead, we can use the method of sections. We can cut through members BH and OH and isolate them from the rest of the structure. By taking the moment about point O, we can solve for the force in BH and OH.

It is important to note that since the problem mentions that the reaction forces at D and E are statically indeterminate, we cannot solve for them using traditional methods. Instead, we may need to use more advanced techniques such as the method of virtual work or the slope-deflection method to solve for these reaction forces.

In summary, to find the forces in members AB, BH, and OH, we can use the method of joints for AB and the method of sections for BH and OH. However, we may need to use more advanced techniques for the reaction forces at D and E. It is also important to double check our calculations and ensure they are consistent with the given information and any applicable physical laws.

1. What is statics and why is it important?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces and their effects on objects in a state of rest or uniform motion. It is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand and predict the behavior of structures and machines, ensuring their safety and efficiency.

2. How do I solve statics problems?

To solve statics problems, you need to follow a step-by-step approach. First, draw a free body diagram of the object or system in question, labeling all the forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces and sum of moments) to find the unknown forces or reactions. Finally, check your solution by ensuring that the sum of forces and moments is equal to zero.

3. What are some common mistakes made in statics problems?

One common mistake is not including all the forces acting on the object in the free body diagram. Another is not correctly identifying the direction and magnitude of the forces. It is also important to use the correct equations and units when solving the problem.

4. How can I improve my understanding of statics?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of statics. Work through as many problems as you can and make sure to understand the concepts behind each step. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups.

5. What are some real-life applications of statics?

Statics has many real-life applications, including designing structures such as bridges and buildings, analyzing the forces acting on a car's suspension system, and determining the stability of objects on a slope. It is also used in sports, such as calculating the forces on a gymnast during a routine, and in the design of amusement park rides.