1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the algebraic equation,Galois group of FF, and prove/disprove.

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1
    1. x^4+2x^3+3x^2+4x+5=0

2. is the equation x^2=2 solvable in 7-adic numbers?

3. find the group Gal(F_p^n^2/ F_p^n), I got n^2-n+1... is it right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Isn't a question it's an equation

3. n^2-n+1 is not necessarily the most universal notation for a group. You mean the cyclic group of that order, right?

Show your work.
  4. Apr 25, 2006 #3
    1. is to solve the equation, means to get the x, and I have no clue....

2.I think it's solvable, thus I used hensel lemma and got f'(x)=2x with |f(x)|_7... but haven't got a number wich can satisfy the equation

3. for n+1, up to n^2 there will be n^2+1, and minus the n one in p^n, thus u got n^2-n+1.
  5. Apr 25, 2006 #4
    Please someone , these questions will be on the final examination and it'll take place tomorrow, none of us had got these questions so far.... :(
  6. Apr 25, 2006 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's never good to wait until the last minute! :tongue:

For (1), surely you've done (or seen) similar problems already, and have an idea about what you should be doing?

For (2) and (3), you are very unclear...

For example, I haven't the slightest idea what "with [itex]|f(x)|_7[/itex]" means -- what exactly are the conditions for Hensel's lemma?

(P.S. don't forget that there is a very easy way to find solutions to an equation modulo 7...)

For (3) I have absolutely no idea what you're doing at all. Maybe if you could write more clearly what you are trying to do, it would be more clear to me... and more importantly, it would be more clear to you.
  7. Apr 26, 2006 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I read this on its own I have no idea that you're talking about Galois Theory or even that you are talking about groups.
  8. Apr 29, 2006 #7

Homework Helper

This has "ugly" complex roots (2 pairs of complex conjugate roots). You need the general quartic method to solve this one.

Proving the equation has no real roots is easy. x= 1 is obviously not a solution of the original equation.

Let the orig. expression in x be represented as f(x)

[tex]{(x-1)}^2f(x) = {(x-1)}^2(x^4+2x^3+3x^2+4x+5) = x^6-6x+5 = g(x)[/tex] (say)

All zeros of f(x) comprise a subset of the zeros of g(x).

The degree 6 polynomial [tex]g(x)[/tex] obviously has a repeated root at x = 1. It would have 4 other (not necessarily distinct) roots.

But [tex]g'(x) = 6(x^5 - 1)[/tex] has no real zeros other than x = 1 (the others are the complex fifth roots of unity). Hence g(x) has no intersections with the x-axis other than forming a tangent at the repeated root x = 1. And we've observed that x = 1 is obviously not a zero of f(x).

Hence, f(x) has no real zeros.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?