Finding a Solution for a Differential System with Initial Conditions

In summary: DIn summary, the system of equations ##{x}'''=2x+y## and ##{y}'''=x+2y## can be solved by assuming solutions of the form ##x=ae^{\lambda t}## and ##y=be^{\lambda t}##. By substituting these solutions into the original equations, we get a polynomial with roots ##\lambda = 1, \frac{1}{2}(-1\pm i\sqrt{3}), \sqrt[3]{3}##, which gives us the general solution, ##\begin{bmatrix}x\\ y\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}Ae^t+Be^
skrat

Homework Statement

Find a solution of the system ##{x}'''=2x+y## and ##{y}'''=x+2y## for which ##x(0)={x}'(0)=0## and ##{x}''(0)=1## also for ##y(0)={y}'(0)=0## and ##{y}''(0)=1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I must be doing something wrong:

##\begin{bmatrix}
{x}'''\\
{y}'''
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
2 & 1\\
1&2
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}##

Eigenvalues are ##\lambda _1=1## and ##\lambda _2=3## so eigenvectors ##v_1=(-1,1)## and ##v_2=(1,1)##.

Therefore matrix ##D=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0& 3
\end{bmatrix}## and matrix ##P=\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 1\\
1&1
\end{bmatrix}##

So general solution should be ##\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}=Pe^{Dx}\vec{c}=\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 1\\
1&1
e^x & 0\\
0& e^{3x}
A\\
B
\end{bmatrix}##

But all these conditions ##x(0)={x}'(0)=0## and ##{x}''(0)=1## also for ##y(0)={y}'(0)=0## and ##{y}''(0)=1##... What do I do? :/

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Find a solution of the system ##{x}'''=2x+y## and ##{y}'''=x+2y## for which ##x(0)={x}'(0)=0## and ##{x}''(0)=1## also for ##y(0)={y}'(0)=0## and ##{y}''(0)=1##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I must be doing something wrong:

##\begin{bmatrix}
{x}'''\\
{y}'''
2 & 1\\
1&2
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}##

Eigenvalues are ##\lambda _1=1## and ##\lambda _2=3## so eigenvectors ##v_1=(-1,1)## and ##v_2=(1,1)##.

Therefore matrix ##D=\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0& 3
\end{bmatrix}## and matrix ##P=\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 1\\
1&1
\end{bmatrix}##

So general solution should be ##\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
\end{bmatrix}=Pe^{Dx}\vec{c}=\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 1\\
1&1
e^x & 0\\
0& e^{3x}
A\\
B
\end{bmatrix}##

But all these conditions ##x(0)={x}'(0)=0## and ##{x}''(0)=1## also for ##y(0)={y}'(0)=0## and ##{y}''(0)=1##... What do I do? :/

Thank you for your help!

λ2 is not 3, but third root of 3. Both x and y are functions of the same variable, say t. And you tried to find the solutions as x(t)=aeλt and y(t)=beλt. You cannot write exponents of x into the solution.

What does the last matrix equation mean for x(t) and y(t)? ( Expand the product.) You have to find the constants A and B so as the initial conditions are fulfilled.

ehild

Last edited:
##det\begin{bmatrix}
2-\lambda &1 \\
1 & 2-\lambda
\end{bmatrix}=(2-\lambda )^2-1=\lambda ^2-4\lambda +3=(\lambda -1)(\lambda -3)=0## ?

am... it means that ##\begin{bmatrix}
x\\
y
-Ae^x+Be^{3x}\\
Ae^x+Be^{3x}
\end{bmatrix}## but i have 6 conditions for only two constants... o_O

It is not a first order but third order system of equations. And your matrix equation means that x= -Aex+Be3x. Do you think it true? ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
It is not a first order but third order system of equations.

Am, I can see the problem but I have to admit that I don't know what to do? Should I calculate the eigen values of matrix ##A^3## ?

ehild said:
And your matrix equation means that x= -Aex+Be3x. Do you think it true?

Uf, good point, I guess the ##'## mean derivation by t and not by x.

skrat said:
Am, I can see the problem but I have to admit that I don't know what to do? Should I calculate the eigen values of matrix ##A^3## ?

No, why ? Still, yo can assume the solutions of form x=aeλt, y=beλt). Substitute into the original equations. You get values 1 and 3 for λ3. But λ is a complex number, and you have the complex third roots, 6 values altogether.

Or you can introduce dummy variables u=dx/dt, v=du/dt and p=dy/dt, q=dp/dt to transform the original equations into first order ones. Then you have a system of six first order equations and you can solve it with the standard method.

ehild

Aaa, ok, i get it now... Is this a standard procedure for systems that are second orders or higher?

So I will get a polynomial ##\lambda ^6-4\lambda ^3+3=(\lambda -1)(\lambda ^3-3)(\lambda ^2+\lambda +1)##

This gives me ##\lambda _1=1## and ##\lambda _{1,2}=\frac{1}{2}(-1\pm i\sqrt{3})## and ##\lambda _3= \sqrt[3]{3}##

How exactly do I get the other two? o_O

λ6-4λ3+3=0 is a quadratic equation in λ3, with solutions λ3=1 and λ3=3.

So the roots are 1, (-1/2±√3/2 i) and 31/3, 31/3(-1/2±√3/2 i)

(You can factorize λ3-3 in the same way you did with λ3. If a=31/3, λ3-3=(λ-a)(λ2+aλ+a2).)

ehild

Thank you, now I know how to finish this!

1. What is a differential system?

A differential system is a set of equations that describes how one or more variables change over time or in relation to each other. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to model dynamic systems.

2. How do you solve a differential system?

To solve a differential system, you need to use mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. You will also need to use initial conditions or boundary conditions to find the specific solution.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential system?

An ordinary differential system involves one independent variable, while a partial differential system involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential systems also have a single solution, while partial differential systems may have multiple solutions.

4. Can all differential systems be solved analytically?

No, not all differential systems can be solved analytically. Some systems may have no closed-form solution or may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving differential systems?

Differential systems are used in a variety of fields, such as engineering, physics, economics, and biology. They can be used to model the motion of objects, the growth of populations, and the behavior of physical systems, among other things.