1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the differential system

1. Dec 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a solution of the system ##{x}'''=2x+y## and ##{y}'''=x+2y## for which ##x(0)={x}'(0)=0## and ##{x}''(0)=1## also for ##y(0)={y}'(0)=0## and ##{y}''(0)=1##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I must be doing something wrong:

##\begin{bmatrix}
    {x}'''\\
    {y}'''
    \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
    2 & 1\\
    1&2
    \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
    x\\
    y
    \end{bmatrix}##

Eigenvalues are ##\lambda _1=1## and ##\lambda _2=3## so eigenvectors ##v_1=(-1,1)## and ##v_2=(1,1)##.

Therefore matrix ##D=\begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0\\
    0& 3
    \end{bmatrix}## and matrix ##P=\begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & 1\\
    1&1
    \end{bmatrix}##

So general solution should be ##\begin{bmatrix}
    x\\
    y
    \end{bmatrix}=Pe^{Dx}\vec{c}=\begin{bmatrix}
    -1 & 1\\
    1&1
    e^x & 0\\
    0& e^{3x}
    A\\
    B
    \end{bmatrix}##

But all these conditions ##x(0)={x}'(0)=0## and ##{x}''(0)=1## also for ##y(0)={y}'(0)=0## and ##{y}''(0)=1##.... What do I do? :/

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

λ2 is not 3, but third root of 3. Both x and y are functions of the same variable, say t. And you tried to find the solutions as x(t)=aeλt and y(t)=beλt. You cannot write exponents of x into the solution.

What does the last matrix equation mean for x(t) and y(t)? ( Expand the product.) You have to find the constants A and B so as the initial conditions are fulfilled.

ehild

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Dec 27, 2013 #3
    ##det\begin{bmatrix}
    2-\lambda &1 \\
    1 & 2-\lambda
    \end{bmatrix}=(2-\lambda )^2-1=\lambda ^2-4\lambda +3=(\lambda -1)(\lambda -3)=0## ????

am... it means that ##\begin{bmatrix}
    x\\
    y
    \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
    -Ae^x+Be^{3x}\\
    Ae^x+Be^{3x}
    \end{bmatrix}## but i have 6 conditions for only two constants... o_O

5. Dec 27, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not a first order but third order system of equations. And your matrix equation means that x= -Aex+Be3x. Do you think it true?

ehild

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  6. Dec 27, 2013 #5
    Am, I can see the problem but I have to admit that I don't know what to do? Should I calculate the eigen values of matrix ##A^3## ?

Uf, good point, I guess the ##'## mean derivation by t and not by x.

7. Dec 27, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, why ? Still, yo can assume the solutions of form x=aeλt, y=beλt). Substitute into the original equations. You get values 1 and 3 for λ3. But λ is a complex number, and you have the complex third roots, 6 values altogether.

Or you can introduce dummy variables u=dx/dt, v=du/dt and p=dy/dt, q=dp/dt to transform the original equations into first order ones. Then you have a system of six first order equations and you can solve it with the standard method.

ehild

8. Dec 27, 2013 #7
    Aaa, ok, i get it now... Is this a standard procedure for systems that are second orders or higher?

So I will get a polynomial ##\lambda ^6-4\lambda ^3+3=(\lambda -1)(\lambda ^3-3)(\lambda ^2+\lambda +1)##

This gives me ##\lambda _1=1## and ##\lambda _{1,2}=\frac{1}{2}(-1\pm i\sqrt{3})## and ##\lambda _3= \sqrt[3]{3}##

How exactly do I get the other two? o_O

9. Dec 27, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

λ6-4λ3+3=0 is a quadratic equation in λ3, with solutions λ3=1 and λ3=3.

So the roots are 1, (-1/2±√3/2 i) and 31/3, 31/3(-1/2±√3/2 i)

(You can factorize λ3-3 in the same way you did with λ3. If a=31/3, λ3-3=(λ-a)(λ2+aλ+a2).)

ehild

10. Dec 27, 2013 #9
    Thank you, now I know how to finish this!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted