Solve the probability distribution and expectation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem regarding finding a shorter way of solving a probability distribution concept. The solution below is provided but there is a discussion about potential errors if shortcuts are taken. The preferred method is to find the probabilities of Y independently and then checking the total sum.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
understanding of probability distribution concept...
This is the problem;

1635598062807.png

Find my working to solution below;
1635598109409.png

1635598140494.png
find mark scheme solution below;

1635598182806.png

I seek any other approach ( shorter way of doing it) will be appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: understanding of probability distribution concept...

shorter way of doing it
It would have been quicker to have found the probability of Y=2 by subtracting the other two probabilities from 1. I don't see any other shortcuts.

Likes chwala
haruspex said:
It would have been quicker to have found the probability of Y=2 by subtracting the other two probabilities from 1. I don't see any other shortcuts.
That's true, but it could pose problem to a student who may have made a mistake on say finding wrong values of ##Y=0 ##& ##Y=4##, ...if you get what I mean... this error would consequently affect the value of ##Y=2##.
Finding the values of ##Y## indepedently and then checking whether their total sum is ##1## is more concrete...

Last edited:

1. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes occurring in a random experiment. It assigns probabilities to each possible outcome, with the sum of all probabilities equaling 1.

2. How do you solve a probability distribution problem?

To solve a probability distribution problem, you need to first identify the type of distribution being used (e.g. binomial, normal, Poisson). Then, you can use the appropriate formula or table to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes.

3. What is the difference between probability distribution and probability density function?

A probability distribution is a function that assigns probabilities to each possible outcome, while a probability density function (PDF) is a function that describes the relative likelihood of each possible outcome in a continuous distribution. In other words, a PDF is the continuous version of a probability distribution.

4. What is expectation in probability?

In probability, expectation refers to the average value that we would expect to obtain from a random experiment if it were repeated many times. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its respective probability and summing them together.

5. How is expectation used in decision-making?

In decision-making, expectation can be used to determine the best course of action by comparing the expected values of different options. The option with the highest expected value is typically the most favorable choice.