Solve this differential equation for the curve & tangent diagram

• Thread starter so_gr_lo
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

Hi,
I have included an attachment of the question about differential equations. I found a similar question and solution on this website:

https://doubtnut.com/question-answer/a-tangent-at-a-point-p-on-the-curve-cuts-the-x-axis-at-a-and-b-is-the-foot-of-perpendicular-from-p-o-262330

Relevant Equations:

Given differential equation:
xdy/dx = 2y
Here is my attempt at a solution:

y = f(x)

yp - ym = dy/dx(xp-xm)

ym = 0

yp = dy/dx(xp-xm)

xm=ypdy/dx + xm

xm is midpoint of OT

xm = (ypdy/dx + xm) /2

Not sure where to go from there because the solution from the link uses with the midpoint of the points A and B intersecting the x-axis, whereas the assignment question concerns the points M and T on the x-axis, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T. Can anybody give any clues?
259E39C1-8D4D-4744-A50A-3E405B0EC5DE.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement:: Hi,
I have included an attachment of the question about differential equations. I found a similar question and solution on this website:

https://doubtnut.com/question-answe...-is-the-foot-of-perpendicular-from-p-o-262330
Relevant Equations:: Given differential equation:
xdy/dx = 2y

y = f(x)

yp - ym = dy/dx(xp-xm)

ym = 0

yp = dy/dx(xp-xm)

xm=ypdy/dx + xm

xm is midpoint of OT

xm = (ypdy/dx + xm) /2

Not sure where to go from there because the solution from the link uses with the midpoint of the points A and B intersecting the x-axis, whereas the assignment question concerns the points M and T on the x-axis, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T. Can anybody give any clues?
Hello, @so_gr_lo .

:welcome:

Notice that xp = 2 xm .

Also, xp and yp are the same as x and y, the coordinates of the general point, P .

I have no idea of what the statement regarding points A and B could possibly mean.

Full size image:
259e39c1-8d4d-4744-a50a-3e405b0ec5de-png.png

STEMucator
Homework Helper
The equation for the tangent line is:

$$y - y_n = m(x - x_n)$$

##m = \frac{dy}{dx}## is the slope, and ##P_n = (x_n, y_n)## is the point. Also note the midpoint formula:

$$(x_n, y_n) = (\frac{x_L + x_H}{2}, \frac{y_L + y_H}{2})$$
$$(x_n, 0) = (\frac{x_L + x_H}{2}, 0)$$

You know ##y_n = 0 \Rightarrow y = \frac{dy}{dx} (x - x_n)## because the midpoint is always on the x-axis for any point ##P_n##. Now ##x_n = \frac{x_L + x_H}{2} \Rightarrow##

$$y + \frac{dy}{dx} (\frac{x_L + x_H}{2}) = \frac{dy}{dx} x$$

What do you know about ##x_L##, and ##x_H##?

Last edited:
x1 = 1/2x2

or

x2 = 1/2x1
I have tried substituting these into y + dy/dx(x1 + x2) = dy/dxx

but can’t see how that helps, I also don’t know how to get rid of on of the dy/dx to turn it into the required differential equation.

Homework Statement:: Hi,

https://doubtnut.com/question-answe...-is-the-foot-of-perpendicular-from-p-o-262330
Relevant Equations:: Given differential equation:
xdy/dx = 2y

y = f(x)

yp - ym = dy/dx(xp-xm)

ym = 0

yp = dy/dx(xp-xm)

xm=ypdy/dx + xm

xm is midpoint of OT

xm = (ypdy/dx + xm) /2

Not sure where to go from there because the solution from the link uses with the midpoint of the points A and B intersecting the x-axis, whereas the assignment question concerns the points M and T on the x-axis, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T. Can anybody give any clues?View attachment 265378
As @SammyS pointed out, you don't need subscripted variables, and the hint given by @STEMucator is much more complicated than is needed. You don't really need either the point-slope form of a line or the midpoint formula.
The proof can be done in two lines, if you assign coordinates to points T and M, and recognize that the derivative dydx gives the slope of the tangent line.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
STEMucator
Homework Helper
x1 = 1/2x2

or

x2 = 1/2x1
I have tried substituting these into y + dy/dx(x1 + x2) = dy/dxx

but can’t see how that helps, I also don’t know how to get rid of on of the dy/dx to turn it into the required differential equation.
I would double check your math, but please review my prior post. I feel my notation was somewhat unclear before, and maybe the information will help.

Given ##x_L = 0##, and ##x_H = T##, can you create a standard differential equation that you can compute using this hint?

I would double check your math, but please review my prior post. I feel my notation was somewhat unclear before, and maybe the information will help.
Your notation was clear enough, but extraneous information such as the point-slope form of the equation of a line and the midpoint formula are overcomplications that are not helpful.

As I said before, all that is needed is to label points P, T, and M in the simplest way possible, and recognize that the slope of the tangent line is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##. When this is done, finding the differential equation requires only two lines.

Likes etotheipi
So I think this is the way to do it:

y - yM = dy/dx(x - xM)

yM = 0

y = dy/dx(x - xM)

xM = 1/2x

y = dy/dx(1/2x)

xdy/dx = 2y

Thanks for the help, since the question had 10 marks I assumed the answer was complicated and got confused by the solution in the link.

Likes Delta2
etotheipi
Gold Member
2019 Award
Or more simply, the gradient of the tangent line is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##, and that equals the rise over run of that triangle, ##\frac{y}{\frac{x}{2}}##. Namely, ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2y}{x}##.

STEMucator
Homework Helper
I agree with the solution provided by Mark, and eto.

I was providing a hint that related with the link the OP provided.

Ok, I will use the solution given by Mark and eto. Thanks again for the help.

So I think this is the way to do it:

y - yM = dy/dx(x - xM)
yM = 0
y = dy/dx(x - xM)
xM = 1/2x
y = dy/dx(1/2x)
I know what you mean, but that's not what you wrote.
1/2x means ##\frac 1 2 x##, because multiplication and division have the same precedence, and are grouped from left to right. That means that 1/2x is considered to mean (1/2)x, not 1/(2x) as you intended.
To indicate that 2x is in the denominator in both equations above, use parentheses around 2x, like this:
xM = 1/(2x)
y = dy/dx(1/(2x))
so_gr_lo said:
xdy/dx = 2y

Thanks for the help, since the question had 10 marks I assumed the answer was complicated and got confused by the solution in the link.

Likes SammyS