Solve this differential equation

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time, based on its rate of change. It is used to model and understand real-world phenomena and can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. There are two types of differential equations: ordinary and partial, which are used to model single and multi-variable systems respectively. Differential equations have countless real-life applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology.
Fritz
1. dy/dt + f(t)y = 0

2. 1/y.dy = -f(t)dt

3. F(t) = int f(t)dt

4. int 1/y.dy = - int f(t)dt

5. ln|y| = -F(t) + A

I understand up to here, but in my textbook the logarithm is eliminated to give:

6. y = A.e^-F(t)

I don't understand how you get from step 5. to step 6. Can someone explain it in the simplest possible way (I get confused sometimes when people use shortcuts to explain things, like writing f instead of f(x)).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2 is dubious and 6 follows by exponentiating both sides, though the A's are different in the two cases:

if r+k= log(s), then

exp(r+k)= s (definition of log)

exp(r)exp(k)= s

or letting j=exp(k)

j*exp(r) = s.

Writing f instead of f(x) isn't a shortcut, it is common practice. Get used to it. That sounds ruder than it is intended, but really, it is very necessary for you to accept and understand that convention. It is also conventional and useful, to write words to explain to yourself, and others what you're doing at each stage in a mathematical argument.

Last edited:
it should be (if up to 5 is right) and showing each step

ln|y| = -F(t) + A
raise each side to the power of e
|y|=e^{a-F(t)}
break the exponential apart across addition
|y| = e^(a)*e^(-F(t))
let e^a = b
|y| = b*e^(-F(t))

Why is 2. dubious?

Thank you guys.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Please read my response in this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51027

I don't really understand your explanation (my maths evidently isn't good enough).

You were referring to a D.E. [tex]f(y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}=g(x)[/tex], but this is different from the D.E. I gave at the start of this thread.

Damn, I'm confused.

Fritz said:
Why is 2. dubious?

Thank you guys.

No, it is not!
You have:
[tex]\frac{1}{y(t)}\frac{dy}{dt}=-f(t)[/tex]
This has EXACTLY the same form, once you recognize:
1) "t" is used instead of "x"
2) -f(t) is used instead of g(x)
3) [tex]\frac{1}{y(t)}[/tex] is used instead of f(y(x))

Fritz said:
Why is 2. dubious?

y can't = 0

Does [tex]f(y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}=g(x)[/tex] mean the derivative of [tex]f(y(x))[/tex] w.r.t x is equal to g(x)?

I EDITED THIS!

arildno said:
No, it is not!
You have:
[tex]\frac{1}{y(t)}\frac{dy}{dt}=-f(t)[/tex]
This has EXACTLY the same form, once you recognize:
1) "t" is used instead of "x"
2) -f(t) is used instead of g(x)
3) [tex]\frac{1}{y(t)}[/tex] is used instead of f(y(x))

Is this what the second step should have been?

No it means that:
THE PRODUCT OF f, (EVALUATED AT y(x)), WITH THE DERIVATIVE OF y (with respect to x) EQUALS g (i.e., g evaluated at x)

I thought y is a variable like x, not a function like f.

Fritz said:
Is this what the second step should have been?
This is how it looks like JUST PRIOR to step 2!

y is a function of x, otherwise the question would be totally meaningless!##

"2 is dubious" because it *unnecessarily* treats dx as if it were a number, which at this stage I think I'd prefer you to leave alone until you understand why you can make this abuse of notation. But that's just me.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time, based on its rate of change. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change, and the equation is solved to find the function that satisfies it.

2. Why do we need to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and understand real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. By solving these equations, we can predict and analyze how systems will behave over time, allowing us to make informed decisions.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The approach used depends on the type and complexity of the equation. It often involves finding an analytical solution or using numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve only one independent variable, such as time, and its derivatives. Partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. ODEs are used to model single-variable systems, while PDEs are used for multi-variable systems.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations?

Yes, differential equations have countless applications in the real world. For example, they are used to model the spread of diseases, the growth of populations, the motion of objects under the influence of forces, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, in chemistry to study reaction rates, and in engineering to design and analyze systems.