Is 2 an Eigenvalue of the Matrix Product AB?

• Thread starter sayan2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the solution to this eigen value problem is to use v=[1 1 1 1 ... 1] and find Av=2v and Bv=1v.
sayan2009
please solve this eigen value problem

A nd B are matrices of order n*n.now it is given that sum of each row of A is 2 nd that of B is 1...then show that 2 is an eige value of the product matrix AB

Physics news on Phys.org

Let [tex] \vec v [/tex] be an [tex] n \times 1 [/tex] vector like this:

[tex]
\vec v' = \left[\frac 1 n \frac 1 n \dots \frac 1 n \right]
[/tex]

Then compute all of

[tex]
\begin{align*}
& A \vec v \\
& B \vec v\\
& (AB) \vec v
\end{align*}
[/tex]

and remember that for any matrix [tex] W [/tex] and vector [tex] \vec z [/tex], if there is a scalar [tex] k [/tex] such that

[tex]
W \vec z = k \vec z
[/tex]

then [tex] k [/tex] is an eigenvalue of the matrix [tex] W [/tex].

Last edited:

how to compute (AB)v

Here is a small example (note: the rows in this matrix do not sum to either 1 or 2, as doing that would be solving the problem for you. However, precisely the same steps work)

[tex]
\begin{align*}
A &= \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4 \end{bmatrix}\\
\vec v & = \begin{bmatrix} \frac 1 2 & \frac 1 2 \end{bmatrix}'
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Then
[tex]
A \vec v = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1/2 \\ 1/2 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} {(1+2)}/2 \\ {(3+4)}/2 \end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

so in this case, and in every case, the product [tex] A \vec v [/tex] has as its entries the means of the rows of [tex] A [/tex].

but why should i try to get mean here?i mean i can take v (transpose) as[1 1 1 ... 1](n times)
why r u taking [1/n 1/n ... 1/n]?

sayan2009 said:
but why should i try to get mean here?i mean i can take v (transpose) as[1 1 1 ... 1](n times)
why r u taking [1/n 1/n ... 1/n]?

Go ahead. Just use [1,1,1...]. (Not that there's anything wrong with using [1/n,1/n,...], you'll get the same result in the end).

Just try the multiplication (or use Dick's suggestion) and notice how the result compares to the vector [tex] \vec v [/tex].

Remember that if [tex] A \vec v = k \vec b [/tex] then [tex] k [/tex] is an eigenvalue of the matrix [tex] A [/tex].

so the solution is using v=[1 1 1 1 ... 1]
we can easily get Av=2v & Bv=1v
then(AB)v=A(Bv)=A(1v)=Av=2v
so 2 is an eigen value of AB...
is this right solution??

sayan2009 said:
so the solution is using v=[1 1 1 1 ... 1]
we can easily get Av=2v & Bv=1v
then(AB)v=A(Bv)=A(1v)=Av=2v
so 2 is an eigen value of AB...
is this right solution??

(AB)v=2v. That sure looks like it says 2 is an eigenvalue to me.

is that solution correct man??

Do you have any doubts?? You don't need me to approve your solution. If you believe in it go for it.

statdad said:
Just try the multiplication (or use Dick's suggestion) and notice how the result compares to the vector [tex] \vec v [/tex].

Remember that if [tex] A \vec v = k \vec b [/tex] then [tex] k [/tex] is an eigenvalue of the matrix [tex] A [/tex].
Surely you meant [tex]A\vec v= k \vec v [/tex]?
Which is the definition of "eigenvalue".

Related to Is 2 an Eigenvalue of the Matrix Product AB?

1. What is an eigenvalue problem?

An eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem in which a square matrix is multiplied by a vector and the resulting vector is the original vector multiplied by a constant. The constant is known as the eigenvalue, and the corresponding vector is known as the eigenvector.

2. How do you solve an eigenvalue problem?

To solve an eigenvalue problem, you need to first find the eigenvalues of the matrix by setting the determinant of the matrix minus the identity matrix equal to 0. Then, you can use the eigenvalues to find the corresponding eigenvectors through a process known as diagonalization or by using the power method.

3. What is the importance of solving an eigenvalue problem?

Solving an eigenvalue problem is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It allows for the analysis of complex systems and helps in understanding the behavior of these systems.

4. Can an eigenvalue problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, an eigenvalue problem can have multiple solutions. This means that there can be multiple eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors for a given matrix.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving eigenvalue problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving eigenvalue problems. For example, in physics, eigenvalue problems are used to analyze the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. In engineering, they are used in structural analysis and control systems. In computer science, they are used in data compression and pattern recognition.