Solve Torque on Cylinder Homework Problem

In summary, using the equations τ=I⋅α and Icyl = ½MR2, the magnitude and direction of the angular acceleration of a cylinder with a mass of 5.0 kg rotating about its central axis through point O can be found by solving for α in the equation 2[(F2⋅R1 - F1⋅R2)+(F4⋅0)]/MR2=α, where F1 = 5.0 N, F2 = 6.0 N, F3 = 2.5 N, F4 = 5.5 N, R1 = 6.5 cm, and R2 = 12.0 cm.
Xetricon

Homework Statement

A cylinder having a mass of 5.0 kg can rotate about its central axis through point O. Forces are applied as shown in the figure: F1 = 5.0 N, F2 = 6.0 N, F3 = 2.5 N, and F4 = 5.5 N. Also, R1 = 6.5 cm and R2 = 12.0 cm. Find the magnitude and direction of the angular acceleration of the cylinder. (Take clockwise to be +.) (During the rotation, the forces maintain their same angles relative to the cylinder.)

phys fig.jpg

Homework Equations

τ=I⋅α=r⋅F⋅sinΦ
Icyl = ½MR2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started with
τnet=F2⋅R1 - F1⋅R2 + F4⋅0
and τ=Iα , so F2+R1 - F1⋅R2=Iα.
Substituting in I:
F2⋅R1 - F1⋅R2=½MR2α
Solved for α to get
2[F2⋅R1 - F1⋅R2 ]/MR2
Plugging and chugging I got:
2[(6.0N-5.0N)(0.12m)+(2.5N)(0.065m)]/(5.0kg)(0.12m)2
α=0.94 rad/s2

But this isn't correct. Can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't work all the way through your solution (I don't have much time right now), but your original τnet equation has errors. You should carefully go through that.

Related to Solve Torque on Cylinder Homework Problem

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the turning or twisting force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied by the magnitude of the force.

2. Why is it important to solve torque on cylinder homework problems?

Solving torque on cylinder homework problems helps to develop a better understanding of rotational motion and how forces act on objects. It is also a fundamental concept in many fields of science and engineering.

3. What are the key factors to consider when solving torque on cylinder problems?

The key factors to consider when solving torque on cylinder problems include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application, and the properties of the cylinder such as its mass and dimensions.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-world application of solving torque on cylinder problems?

One example of a real-world application of solving torque on cylinder problems is in the design and operation of engines, where torque is used to measure the rotational force produced by the engine's pistons.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving torque on cylinder problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving torque on cylinder problems include using the wrong units of measurement, not considering the direction of the force, and not taking into account the effects of friction or other external forces.