Solve Vector Problems: a + b, a - b, a - 2b

• Thread starter Darkiekurdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum, difference, and subtraction of two vectors given their magnitudes and directions. The solution involves setting up a coordinate system and using the Pythagorean theorem to determine the components of the vectors. The unit vectors \mathbf{\hat{i}} and \mathbf{\hat{j}} are used to represent the x and y components.
Darkiekurdo

Homework Statement

We have two vectors: one with a speed of 3 m/s to the northwest, let's call this vector a, and we also have a vector b moving to the west with a speed of 5 m/s.

Determine: a + b, a - b and a - 2b

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put the vectors in terms of unit vectors, but that didn't work, then I tried to use Pythagoras' Theorem, but that wasn't right either. I'm getting really frustrated with this problem! :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
you need a coordinate system so that you can put vectors into component form
a = ( , ) ; b = ( , ) then addition becames simple. so first determine a set of axes and then give your vectors the appropriate coordinates before moving on. shall need some simple trig I think

Could you show me how to do this?

Basically, what you just said you tried. Since you don't show how you tried, I don't know why it "didn't work".

"one with a speed of 3 m/s to the northwest, let's call this vector a, and we also have a vector b moving to the west with a speed of 5 m/s."
Okay, so [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] has equal [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] components except that the [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] component is negative. Set it up as a right triangle with legs x and x, hypotenuse of length 3. Use the Pythagorean theorem to determine x. The vector is [itex]-x\vec{i}+ x\vec{j}[/itex].

b is due west with "length" 5 so it should be easy to write it in [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}[/itex] form!

Once you have those two, the arithmetic is simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darkiekurdo said:
Could you show me how to do this?

ok, let me give u an example.

take the N direction as your +ve y-axis direction and E as your +ve x-axis direction. then a velocity vector pointing at S with magnitude 2m/s has a vector form based on this set of coord sys of
v=(0,-2)
and for a velocity vector pointing at say SW with magnitude [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] m/s has
u=(-1,-1)

I'm sorry I didn't show how I did it, but I don't have internet right now. I will show how I did it when I have internet.

As everyone else has said you need to find the components of the vectors and then the calculations are fairly easy. In this situation south-north will be the y-axis and west to east will be the x-axis of a cartesian coordinate system. The unit vectors will then be [itex]\mathbf{\hat{i}} [/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{j}} [/itex]. You know the magnitude of the vectors so you can work out the components.

[tex] |\mathbf{a}|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2} [/tex]

For vector a you know that the x and y components must be the same and for vector b you know the y component is 0.

Post your attempt when you get a chance.

Related to Solve Vector Problems: a + b, a - b, a - 2b

What are vectors and how do they work?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. They are represented by arrows, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction. In order to solve vector problems, you need to understand how to add, subtract, and multiply vectors.

What is the difference between adding and subtracting vectors?

Adding vectors involves combining two or more vectors to find the resultant vector. This is done by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. Subtracting vectors involves finding the difference between two vectors, which is done by placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other vector and drawing a new vector from the head of the first vector to the tail of the second vector.

Can vectors be multiplied?

Yes, vectors can be multiplied using scalar multiplication. This involves multiplying the magnitude of the vector by a scalar (a real number) and keeping the same direction. The result is a new vector with a different magnitude, but the same direction as the original vector.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude and do not have a direction, such as speed or temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

How can I use vector operations to solve real-world problems?

Vectors are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation, to represent and solve real-world problems. By understanding how to add, subtract, and multiply vectors, you can use vector operations to solve problems involving displacement, velocity, force, and more.