Solve Work-Energy Problem for Girl Cliff Diving

In summary, a girl with a mass of 64 kg and a body that can withstand a force of 11,000 N without breaking a bone jumps from an 80 meter high cliff. To not get hurt, she must go at least 4.65 meters deep into the water. Assuming she goes 3.8 meters under the water, her body would feel a force of 13,473N.
DeepPatel

Homework Statement

A girl is cliff diving. She jumps (assume from rest) from an 80 meter high cliff.

a) If her mass is 64 kg, and her body can only withstand a force of 11,000 N without breaking a bone, what is the minimum depth she must go into the water and not get hurt?

b) If we assume she goes 3.8 meters under the water, what force does her body feel?

Homework Equations

mgh+Fdcos(theta)=1/2mv2f

m = 64kg, vf = 0m/s F1 = 11000N, h = 80m, d2 = 3.8m, d1 = ?, F2 = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I used the above equation to solve for d2 and I got an answer of 4.65m as the depth.

b) I used the above equation to solve for F2 and I got an answer of 13,473N as the force.

Physics news on Phys.org
That all looks right. But note the question assumes the force is constant in the water. That would not be true in practice.

1. How do you determine the work done by a girl cliff diving?

The work done by the girl cliff diving can be determined by multiplying the force of gravity (mass x acceleration due to gravity) by the distance she falls. This is known as the work-energy principle.

2. What is the potential energy of the girl at the top of the cliff?

The potential energy of the girl at the top of the cliff can be calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the girl, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the cliff.

3. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of the girl as she jumps off the cliff?

The kinetic energy of the girl can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the girl and v is her velocity as she jumps off the cliff.

4. What factors affect the work done by the girl while cliff diving?

The work done by the girl while cliff diving is affected by her mass, the height of the cliff, and the force of gravity.

5. How can the work-energy problem for girl cliff diving be applied in real life?

The work-energy problem for girl cliff diving can be applied in real life to understand the relationship between work and energy and how it is affected by different factors such as mass, height, and gravity. It can also be used to calculate the potential and kinetic energy of objects in motion, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering and physics.