Solve Wronskian Problem: Find g(t) from f(t)=t

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wronskian
In summary: Wronskian problem.In summary, Gale found the integrating factor for the Wronskian problem, but it was incorrect.
Gale
[tex]w[f,g](t)= t^2\exp{t}\\f(t)=t[/tex]

Thats what i get, the problem is to find g(t)

So, i start; f'(t)=1

[tex]w[f,g](t)= t^2\exp{t}=f(t)g'(t)-f'(t)g(t)\\t^2\exp{t}=tg'(t)-g(t)[/tex]

divide by t,

[tex]t\exp{t}=g'(t)-\frac{g(t)}{t}[/tex]

its a 1st order linear eq. I solve for the integrating factor and get t. i multiply through and reduce

[tex](tg(t))'=t^2\exp{t}[/tex]

then i integrate with the product rule and get

[tex]tg(t)=t^2\exp{t}+2t\exp{t}+C[/tex]

divide by t and get

[tex]g(t)=t\exp{t}+2\exp{t}+\frac{C}{t}[/tex]

which is wrong. The answer in the book is

[tex}t\exp{t}+Ct[/tex]

not sure where i went wrong, i know its probably something dumb, but its late, so i need help.

~gale~

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like your integrating factor. When you expand out (t g(t))', you don't get the right thing.

Hurkyl said:
I don't like your integrating factor. When you expand out (t g(t))', you don't get the right thing.

mk, well, the int factor is

[tex]e^{\int{1/t}dt}{[/tex]

right? so the exponential and log cancel and t is all that's left... how's that wrong?

( i can't get the latex right on that, hope you get what i mean)
(also, i accidently posted twice, you can delete the other one... i don't know how)

Last edited:
oh i just realized, its supposed to be

[tex]e^{-\int{\frac{1}{t}dt}[/tex]

i forgot about that negative sign.
which makes my int factor 1/t which changes absolutely everything and makes the problem right... AUGH, DAMNED NEGATIVES... grr. thanks...

I really wish people would not post the same thing twice! I just posted a reply to the OTHER "Wronskian problem" before I saw that it had already been settled here.

i said sorry... i didn't mean to, and i couldn't delete it... :frown:

I hope you've got the point.No double posting...:rolleyes:You should have PM-ed a (preferably online) mentor/admin.He would have deleted the thread.

Daniel.

Related to Solve Wronskian Problem: Find g(t) from f(t)=t

1. What is a Wronskian?

A Wronskian is a mathematical tool used to determine if a set of functions are linearly independent or dependent. It is represented by the symbol W and is calculated by taking the determinant of a matrix containing the derivatives of the given functions.

2. How do I use the Wronskian to solve for g(t)?

To solve for g(t) from f(t)=t using the Wronskian, you will need to take the Wronskian of f(t) and g(t), set it equal to the given function t, and then integrate both sides of the equation. This will give you an expression for g(t) that satisfies the Wronskian problem.

3. Can I use the Wronskian to solve for g(t) if f(t) is a polynomial?

Yes, the Wronskian can be used to solve for g(t) even if f(t) is a polynomial. However, the process may be more complicated and may require integration by parts or substitution.

4. Are there any special cases where the Wronskian cannot be used to solve for g(t)?

Yes, there are some cases where the Wronskian cannot be used to solve for g(t). One example is when the given function f(t) is a constant, as the Wronskian of a constant and any other function will always be zero.

5. Can the Wronskian be used to solve for g(t) in higher dimensions?

Yes, the Wronskian can also be used to solve for g(t) in higher dimensions, such as in systems of differential equations. In these cases, the Wronskian is calculated using the Jacobian matrix and may involve more complex calculations.