1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve x^3*e^(-a/x)=b

1. Nov 1, 2006 #1
    How would you solve for x algebraically?

[tex]x^3 e^{\frac{-a}{x}} = b [/tex]

where a and b are some constants.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is this homework? If so, I can move it.

Start by isolating the logarithmic terms and the non-log terms. What can you do to get the x^3 away from the e^ term? Once you do that, what can you do to both sides of the equation to get rid of the e^?

4. Nov 1, 2006 #3

StatusX

Homework Helper

The Lambert W function is the first thing to try when you have something that looks like that. It has the property that W(x e^x) = x. So try to rearrange that into the form f(x) e^f(x) = C for some constant C, and then apply W to both sides to get f(x)=W(C).

5. Nov 1, 2006 #4
    I don't think that's gonna help. If you do that, then you are just trapping x inside the natural log function instead of the exponential function.

6. Nov 1, 2006 #5
    Wow! That's news to me. I searched the lambert W function on Wikipedia and I have to say it is pretty interesting. Let me see what I can do...

7. Nov 1, 2006 #6
    Got it!. I am 99% sure that the answer is:
    [tex] x = \frac{a}{3W(\frac{ab^{-1/3}}{3})} [/tex].

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook