Solving 0=-4sin(t)+\frac{5}{2}e^{\frac{-t}{2}}: Manual or Mathematica?

In summary, to solve the equation 0=-4sin(t)+\frac{5}{2}e^{\frac{-t}{2}} by hand, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities. However, using Mathematica can save time and effort and provide more accurate solutions. Mathematica can also provide multiple solutions and can solve the equation for any value of t, but some values may result in complex solutions.
b2386
Hi all,

Just a quick question that is part of a differential equations problem. Can [tex]0=-4sin(t)+\frac{5}{2}e^{\frac{-t}{2}}[/tex] be solved for t by hand or should I use Mathematica?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically yours asking is there an analytical solution to [tex]64 (\sin^2 x) (e^x) -25=0[/tex] Nope...If you want to do it by hand, Newtons method, or more complex, algebraic manipulations with the Taylor series of the functions, neither of which will get you exact answers, but can get you arbitrarily close answers, depending on how long you want to spend...

Related to Solving 0=-4sin(t)+\frac{5}{2}e^{\frac{-t}{2}}: Manual or Mathematica?

1. How do I solve the equation 0=-4sin(t)+\frac{5}{2}e^{\frac{-t}{2}} by hand?

To solve the equation by hand, you can use algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to isolate the variable t. However, this may be a complex and time-consuming process.

2. Can I use Mathematica to solve this equation?

Yes, Mathematica is a powerful software that can solve complex equations like this one. You can use the Solve or NSolve functions to find the numerical or exact solutions to the equation.

3. What is the difference between solving the equation manually and using Mathematica?

Solving the equation manually requires a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry, as well as patience and time. Using Mathematica can save time and effort, and also provide more accurate and precise solutions.

4. Can I get multiple solutions for this equation?

Yes, this equation has an infinite number of solutions. When using Mathematica, you can specify the range of values for t or use the Plot function to visualize all possible solutions.

5. Can I solve this equation for any value of t?

Yes, this equation can be solved for any value of t. However, some values may result in complex solutions. When using Mathematica, you can specify the domain of t to avoid such solutions.