1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving 2nd order DE HELP!

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    can any1 help me solve this? d2x/dt2 = -(k/m)*x -g
    at x= 0, t=0, v=sqrt(u^2-2gh)

what is x?? can show the steps?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

This DE can be solved by direct integration. After calculating [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v(t)[/tex] and x(t), use the initial conditions to get the constants of integration.

P.S. x(t) is a function of position in time.

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One of the reasons we ask that people show what they have already done is so we will have a better idea of what kind of help you need and what kinds of suggestions you would understand. I can think of several ways of solving this but I'm not sure what "tools" you have to use.

The method radou is suggesting is called "quadrature". Since t does not explicitely appear in the equation, you can eliminate it. Let v= dx/dt. The d2x/dt2= dv/dt= (dv/dx)(dx/dt)= vdv/dx. That is, the original equation can be written as a first order equation.
    Now we have vdv/dx= -(k/m)x- g. In fact, that is separable and, so, easily integrable: vdv= (-(k/m)x- g)dx so (1/2)v2= -(k/2m)x2- 2x+ C (the v2 is the reason for the name "quadrature"). Once you have found v as a function of t, integrate dx/dt= v to find x.

But that is not the method I would use. This is a linear d.e. with constant coefficients. I has "characteristic equation" r2= -(k/m) which has roots [itex]r= \pm i\sqrt{k/m}[/itex]. The general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is
    [tex]x(t)= C_1cos(\sqrt{k/m}t)+ C_2sin(\sqrt{k/m}t)[/tex]
    Now you need to find a "specific" solution to the entire equation. Since the "non-homogeneous part" is the constant, -g, I would suggest assuming y is a constant: y(t)= A, and seeing if you can pick A to make the equation true. Does any of that make sense? That was what I meant by "not sure what "tools" you have to use".
    By the way, is "sqrt(u^2-2gh)" simply a constant?

5. Oct 24, 2006 #4
    ya sqrt(u^2- 2gh) is a constant how should i go about solving it to satisfy this condition?

6. Oct 25, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do what I suggested before. Assume y= A, a constant, and plug that into the equation. What does A have to be in order for the equation to be true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?