Solving a 2nd order differential with fixed constant

In summary, the question is to solve the equation y'' + ω^2y = cos(ωt) and the person is trying to find the particular solution. They try tcosωt and tsinωt and find that the complementary solution is always a sum of ekts (or coskts and sinkts). They then try the X2 button just above the Reply box and find that the particular solution is (At^2+ Bt+ C)e^t.
th3chemist
The question is to solve the equation y'' + ω^2y = cos(ωt)

I know you'll find the complementary and particular functions and add them together.
Now I found the complementary function easily. r= +/- ωi and then plug into the general equation for complex numbers.

The problem I have is with determining the particular function: When I do it, I get 0 = cos(ωt)
The soltuion I guseed was Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt).

I'm confused :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi th3chemist! :smile:

when the RHS is one of the complementary solutions, you have to multiply by t to get the particular solution (or tn if it's an nth-degree solution) …

try tcosωt or tsinωt :wink:

Generally, had there been a ##y'## term in the DE you would try ##At\cos(\omega t)+Bt\sin(\omega t)##.

tiny-tim said:

when the RHS is one of the complementary solutions, you have to multiply by t to get the particular solution (or tn if it's an nth-degree solution) …

try tcosωt or tsinωt :wink:

Ah, thank you! I forgot that.

So let's say the one solution has t^2 e^2t
would I multiply it by t still? or t^2? This is just for my knowledge, not this question :).

(just got up :zzz:)
th3chemist said:
So let's say the one solution has t^2 e^2t

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

that can't happen …

the complementary solution will always be a sum of ekts (or coskts and sinkts) :wink:

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that's not true, tiny tim. For example, if the equation is
[tex]\frac{d^3y}{dt^3}- 6\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ 12\frac{dy}{dt}+ 8y= e^{2t}[/tex]
then the associated homogeneous equation is
[tex]\frac{d^3y}{dt^3}- 6\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+ 12\frac{dy}{dt}+ 8y= 0[/tex]
which has characteristic equation [itex]r^3- 6r^2+ 12r+ 8= (r- 2)^3= 0[/itex] and so has r= 2 as a triple charateristic root.

That tells us that three independent solutions to the associate homogeneous equation are [itex]e^{2t}[/itex], [itex]te^{2t}[/itex], and [itex]t^2e^{2t}[/itex]. In order to find a specific solution to the entire equation, we would look for a solution of the form [itex]At^3e^{2t}[/itex].

If, for the same left side, the right hand side were, say, [itex]t^2e^t[/itex] (not [itex]t^2e^{2t}[/itex]), we would look for a soluion of the form [itex](At^2+ Bt+ C)e^t[/itex] to allow for the product rule differentiation of the powers of t. And if, with the same left side, the right hand side were [itex]t^2e^{2t}[/itex], we would, instead of [itex](At^2+ Bt+ C)e^{2t}[/itex], increase the powers to [itex](At^5+ Bt^4+ Ct^3)e^{2t}[/itex] to avoid those we already have.

Of course, Th3chemist, you understand that we are talking only about "linear differential equation with constant coefficients". Non-linear differential equations or equations with variable coefficients can be much harder. Even with "linear differential equations with constant coefficients", this "method of undetermined coefficients" only works when the right hand side is something we can "guess" the for of- things like [itex]e^{kt}[/itex], [itex]cos(kt)[/itex], [itex]sin(kt)[/itex], poynomials in t, and products of such things. If the right hand side is not, if it is, say, a logarithm, then we need to use "variation of parameters".

Hi HallsofIvy! :smile:
HallsofIvy said:
Unless I am misunderstanding you, that's not true, tiny tim …

Thanks, you're right :smile:

I must still have been half-asleep! :zzz:​

1. How do I solve a 2nd order differential equation with a fixed constant?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation with a fixed constant, you will need to use a combination of algebraic manipulation and integration. First, you will need to rearrange the equation so that it is in the form of y'' + ay' + by = c, where a and b are constants and c is the fixed constant. Then, you can use techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to find the particular solution. Finally, you can use the initial conditions (if given) to determine the values of the arbitrary constants and obtain the general solution.

2. What is the difference between a fixed constant and a variable constant in a 2nd order differential equation?

A fixed constant in a 2nd order differential equation is a constant that remains the same throughout the entire solution. It is usually denoted by the letter c. On the other hand, a variable constant is a constant that can change in value depending on the initial conditions of the problem. It is usually denoted by the letters A, B, or C.

3. Can I solve a 2nd order differential equation with a fixed constant without using integration?

No, integration is a necessary step in solving a 2nd order differential equation with a fixed constant. This is because the solution to a 2nd order differential equation involves finding the antiderivative of the function, which requires integration.

4. How do I know if my solution to a 2nd order differential equation with a fixed constant is correct?

To check if your solution to a 2nd order differential equation with a fixed constant is correct, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also check if your solution satisfies the initial conditions (if given). If both of these checks are satisfied, then your solution is correct.

5. Is there a specific method for solving 2nd order differential equations with a fixed constant?

There is no specific method for solving 2nd order differential equations with a fixed constant. Different techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters can be used depending on the form of the equation and the given initial conditions. It is important to understand the different methods and choose the most appropriate one for the specific problem at hand.