What are the methods for solving a 3rd degree equation?

• Thread starter chandran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, To solve a 3rd degree equation, you can use the cubic formula or online solvers such as those provided by Mathworld or Akiti.
chandran
i have a 3rd degree equation as follows. how can i solve this. What are the methods available?

x^3-a*x^2+b*x+c=0

i want to find x. a,b,c are all constants

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The solution is less than simple, but you can use the cubic equation so get it.

The solution to this was already given :

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=71782 [/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What are the methods for solving a 3rd degree equation?

1. How do you solve a 3rd degree equation?

Solving a 3rd degree equation involves using a combination of algebraic techniques, such as factoring, the quadratic formula, and synthetic division. The goal is to isolate the variable and find its value.

2. What is the general formula for solving a 3rd degree equation?

The general formula for solving a 3rd degree equation, also known as a cubic equation, is ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0. This is the standard form of a 3rd degree equation.

3. Can all 3rd degree equations be solved?

Yes, all 3rd degree equations can be solved. However, some equations may have complex solutions, meaning that they involve imaginary numbers.

4. What are the possible number of solutions for a 3rd degree equation?

A 3rd degree equation can have up to three solutions. This is because the highest exponent in a cubic equation is 3, and the fundamental theorem of algebra states that a polynomial of degree n has n complex roots.

5. How do you know if the solution to a 3rd degree equation is correct?

To check if the solution to a 3rd degree equation is correct, you can substitute the value of the variable back into the original equation and see if it equals 0. If it does, then the solution is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the equation and see if the solution(s) match the points where the graph intersects the x-axis.