Solving a circuit in Freq Domain

In summary, the conversation is discussing a circuit analysis problem involving a controlled voltage source and the implications of its polarity on the circuit's behavior. The simulation of the circuit suggests that there is positive feedback occurring and the current will continue to grow without bound. It is suggested to use Laplace transforms to analyze the circuit as it does not assume steady-state conditions. The possibility of a misprint in the problem statement is also mentioned.
phsyics_197

Homework Statement

Question as in image:

rjnqx1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did Mesh, I got this:
-20j-20Ia+(Ia-Ib)2j=0
(Ib-Ia)2j-(Ib-5)j-(Ib-Ic)50=0
-(Ic-Ib)50-(Ic-5)8j-2(Ia-Ib)=0
2(Ia-Ib)-100Id=0
Ia-Ib=Ix
**This is done from Left to Right**

One thing I am not sure about is the Sin voltage source. I believe you convert it to Cos first? Then it should give you -20j.

Well, when I solved the above equations in Matlab, I got Ix = -6.4622 - 0.5310i.

I was wondering if that is correct, and how could I verify it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The polarity of your controlled voltage source is a bit vague, and it will affect the operation of the circuit. Could you clarify it?

Yes, sorry about that. It should (+) on top and (-) on bottom.

phsyics_197 said:
Yes, sorry about that. It should (+) on top and (-) on bottom.

Hmm. In that case I think that the circuit won't reach a steady state; the current Ix is going to grow without bound as the controlled voltage grows while Ix does -- there's positive feedback occurring. (I just confirmed this with a Spice simulation).

But can't you still model the current sinusoidally?

phsyics_197 said:
But can't you still model the current sinusoidally?

Sure, but you'll need to use a slightly different analysis method; Solve for the current Ix as a function of time using Laplace transforms. This is mostly the same as the usual mesh method, only no assumptions about the circuit going to steady state are made. The voltage and current sources are replace with Laplace transform counterparts for sine and cosine driving functions. The expression for Ix(s) is found and a reverse Laplace transformation performed on it.

The result will be something like a sum of sine and cosine terms multiplied by an exponential that INCREASES with time, like [itex] e^{A t} [/itex].

[EDIT] BTW, the Spice simulation indicated that Ix would reach an amplitude of about 150 Million Amps in about 216 seconds.
[EDIT] Also note that this problem does NOT occur if the controlled voltage source has its polarity reversed (+ down, - up).

Last edited:
Are you 100% positive it does not reach steady state? Cause everything we have done in class has been for steady state problems. I find it hard to believe he is giving us a problem that we have never seen before.

phsyics_197 said:
Are you 100% positive it does not reach steady state? Cause everything we have done in class has been for steady state problems. I find it hard to believe he is giving us a problem that we have never seen before.

I believe what the simulation is telling me. Note that the problem could also be alleviated if the controlled source gain were -2 rather than +2. You might want to check that.

He specifically said that the (+) is on top. And when I worked it out by hand following his steps, I got what seems to be an appropriate answer.

phsyics_197 said:
He specifically said that the (+) is on top. And when I worked it out by hand following his steps, I got what seems to be an appropriate answer.

Sometimes there is a world of difference between "seems" and "is" :smile:

If you have LTSpice on your PC (It's a free download, and practically an industry standard) I'd be happy to post the wirelist for you to run the simulation for yourself. You can see the difference if you change the gain from +2 to -2, effectively reversing the polarity of the controlled source.

Sorry, I was playing around with PSpice and I know what you are saying.

phsyics_197 said:
Sorry, I was playing around with PSpice and I know what you are saying.

So it looks like a misprint in the problem statement, or perhaps the person who created it didn't check for the positive feedback possibility.

The steady-state analysis method WILL yield a result in both cases, but it lacks the finesse to properly handle circuits that don't in fact have a steady state.

Do you know the equation?

I was getting an amplitude of about 6, not sure how to extract the phase shift from the plot.

I calculate a magnitude of 5.996A for Ix, with a phase shift (with respect to the current source 5cos(2t) ) of -144.107°. This is for steady-state case, of course.

1. How do you solve a circuit in the frequency domain?

To solve a circuit in the frequency domain, you need to use a technique called circuit analysis. This involves applying Kirchhoff's laws and using complex impedance to determine the voltage and current at different points in the circuit.

2. What is the difference between solving a circuit in the time domain vs. the frequency domain?

Solving a circuit in the time domain involves analyzing the behavior of the circuit over time, while solving in the frequency domain involves analyzing the behavior of the circuit at different frequencies. The time domain method is useful for studying transient responses, while the frequency domain method is better for analyzing steady-state responses.

3. How do you convert a circuit from the time domain to the frequency domain?

To convert a circuit from the time domain to the frequency domain, you can use a Fourier transform. This mathematical tool allows you to convert a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, making it easier to analyze the circuit's behavior at different frequencies.

4. What is a transfer function and how is it used in solving circuits in the frequency domain?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system in the frequency domain. In circuit analysis, it is used to determine the response of a circuit to a specific input signal. It can also be used to design filters and control systems.

5. What are some common tools used for solving circuits in the frequency domain?

Some common tools used for solving circuits in the frequency domain include Laplace transforms, Bode plots, and Nyquist plots. These tools allow you to analyze the frequency response of the circuit and determine important parameters such as gain, phase shift, and stability.