Solving a circuit using laplace transform

In summary, for the given circuit, the solution for Va(s) can be found using the node method when the switch is closed. The equation is Va(s) = (V0/C2R1)*(1/s+(1/C2R1) + (1/C2R2)). However, this equation is not completely correct as it does not account for the voltage across capacitor C1, which can change quickly depending on its size. A more accurate approach would be to write the impedance of elements in the s-domain and treat everything like a resistor. By labeling a new node between C1 and R1, the voltage at that node (V1) can be calculated using KCL and then plugged into the equation for Va(s).
magnifik
For the circuit below, find the Va(s)
2vj7doz.png

What I have done so far:
I attempted to solve using the node method when the switch is closed (t > 0)
(va - v0)/R1 + C2dva/dt + va/R2 = 0

After a series of calculations I got
Va(s) = (V0/C2R1)*(1/s+(1/C2R1) + (1/C2R2))

What I am unsure of is if my first equation is correct. I did not account for C1; I simply used the fact that the voltage across it was v0.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not correct. Consider how the circuit responds if C1 is very large so the voltage across it doesn't change very quickly. What if C1 is very small so even a small current can cause its voltage to change quickly? Obviously, the response of the system will have to depend on how big C1, so that quantity must appear in your solution.

Have you learned about writing the impedance of elements in the s-domain and then treating everything like a resistor? That would be the most straightforward way to solve the problem.

vela said:
It's not correct. Consider how the circuit responds if C1 is very large so the voltage across it doesn't change very quickly. What if C1 is very small so even a small current can cause its voltage to change quickly? Obviously, the response of the system will have to depend on how big C1, so that quantity must appear in your solution.

Have you learned about writing the impedance of elements in the s-domain and then treating everything like a resistor? That would be the most straightforward way to solve the problem.

I haven't learned about that.
So my first equation isn't correct at all? Or can I also have a separate equation, C1dv0/dt = 0 and combine the two equations in the end? I haven't tried this method yet so I'm not sure if it makes any sense. Thanks for the help.

Your first equation is correct, but when you went to the s-domain, I think you assumed V0 is a constant, which it isn't. That's how the dependence on C1 enters in.

At the risk of seeming to cause more work, label a new node between C1 and R1. Let's say that the voltage there is V1. Now you can write a KCL equation for each node. Ignore Vo to begin with; when you take the Laplace transforms of the equations you'll soon see where to plug it in!

gneill said:
At the risk of seeming to cause more work, label a new node between C1 and R1. Let's say that the voltage there is V1. Now you can write a KCL equation for each node. Ignore Vo to begin with; when you take the Laplace transforms of the equations you'll soon see where to plug it in!

So to solve for V1 I did the following:
C1(dv1/dt) + (v1 - va)/R1 = 0
which turns into
C1[sV1(s) - v1(0-)] + (V1(s) - Va(s))/R1 = 0
I solved for V1 and got
Va(s)/(C1s + 1)

I believe the next step would be that I plug this in for V0 in my original equation.

V1(0) should be the initial voltage on C1 (that is, Vo). The result of solving this equation for V1(s) should also include R1 in its makeup. What happened to Vo and R1?

When you have this sorted out, yes, plug the expression for V1(s) into your other equation so that you can solve for Va(s). Then it's inverse Laplace time!

gneill said:
V1(0) should be the initial voltage on C1 (that is, Vo). The result of solving this equation for V1(s) should also include R1 in its makeup. What happened to Vo and R1?

When you have this sorted out, yes, plug the expression for V1(s) into your other equation so that you can solve for Va(s). Then it's inverse Laplace time!

Ah yes, I made a typo. I actually got
V1(s) = Va(s)/(C1R1s + 1)
but when I plug in 0 for s, I get V1(0) = Va(0) which makes no sense to me unless you were taking about v1(0-), in which case it is 0 since the voltage is 0 initially

magnifik said:
Ah yes, I made a typo. I actually got
V1(s) = Va(s)/(C1R1s + 1)
but when I plug in 0 for s, I get V1(0) = Va(0) which makes no sense to me unless you were taking about v1(0-), in which case it is 0 since the voltage is 0 initially

The capacitor is initially charged to voltage Vo, according to your circuit diagram.

gneill said:
The capacitor is initially charged to voltage Vo, according to your circuit diagram.

Oh, I see what you're saying...I think. So V0 should be in my equation for V1(s)? I initially thought the capacitor C1 had a voltage of 0, which is why I was confused.

magnifik said:
Oh, I see what you're saying...I think. So V0 should be in my equation for V1(s)? I initially thought the capacitor C1 had a voltage of 0, which is why I was confused.

Yes, I think you have it now! The diagram showed Vo on the capacitor. That value should be inserted for V1(0) in your expressions.

Ok, I think I finally got the answer. It's a bit messy though. I just have one last question regarding this problem: am I correct in assuming that Va(0) = 0?

magnifik said:
Ok, I think I finally got the answer. It's a bit messy though. I just have one last question regarding this problem: am I correct in assuming that Va(0) = 0?

You are indeed correct! While the switch is open before t=0, capacitor C2 will be discharged via R2.

Thank you for all the help! Much appreciated!

What is the Laplace transform?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze signals in the time domain.

Why is the Laplace transform useful for solving circuits?

The Laplace transform simplifies the mathematical representation of a circuit by converting it into a system of algebraic equations. This makes it easier to analyze and solve complex circuits.

How do you use the Laplace transform to solve a circuit?

To solve a circuit using the Laplace transform, you first need to convert the circuit elements (such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors) into their equivalent Laplace domain representations. Then, you can use algebraic equations and the properties of the Laplace transform to solve the circuit.

What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform for circuit analysis?

The Laplace transform allows for the analysis of complex circuits without the need for advanced calculus techniques. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of circuit behavior in the frequency domain.

What are the limitations of using the Laplace transform for circuit analysis?

The Laplace transform assumes that the circuit is linear and time-invariant, meaning that its behavior does not change over time. It also requires the use of complex numbers, which can be challenging for some individuals.