Solving a Cubic: Help Appreciated!

• MHB
  • Thread starter pita0001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the problem statement is: 2t^3=5t-11t^2. The equation has been arranged in standard form (descending exponents), and it can be solved using the quadratic formula or completing the square. The solutions are t=0, (-11+-sqrt(161)/4), and \frac{-11\pm\sqrt{161}}{4}.
pita0001
I'm trying to solve the cubic:

2t^3=5t-11t^2

Been stuck on this for awhile. Any help is appreciated.

First I took everything over to one side, so.. 2t^3-5t+11t^2
then set it to zero 2t^3-5t+11t^2=0
then didivded by t..so t(2t^2-5+11t)

Then I tried multiplying 11 by 2 which =22
but 22 and 5 don't factor.Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB! :D

I edited your post to include the problem statement...it is okay to put the problem in the title, but we ask that you also include it in your post as well for clarity.

We are given to solve:

\(\displaystyle 2t^3=5t-11t^2\)

I would arrange it in standard form (descending exponents) as:

\(\displaystyle 2t^3+11t^2-5t=0\)

Factor out the $t$:

\(\displaystyle t\left(2t^2+11t-5 \right)=0\)

So, using the zero factor property, we equate each factor in turn to zero:

\(\displaystyle t=0\)

\(\displaystyle 2t^2+11t-5=0\)

Now, the linear factor gives us the root $t=0$, but the quadratic factor does not further factor in the conventional sense (check the discriminant and see that it is not a perfect square). How else can we solve quadratics besides factoring?

What about doing the quadratic formula would that work? (To further solve it) or no?

pita0001 said:
What about doing the quadratic formula would that work? (To further solve it) or no?

Yes, that would work...the quadratic formula is a general formula that works for all quadratics. Another option is completing the square.

So

t=-11+- (square root) 161/4that would be my final answer, right?

pita0001 said:
So

t=-11+- (square root) 161/4that would be my final answer, right?

If you mean:

t = (-11 ± sqrt(161))/4

Then yes, these are the roots to the quadratic factor. But don't forget you also have t = 0 as the root from the other factor. So, you have the following 3 solutions:

\(\displaystyle t=0,\,\frac{-11\pm\sqrt{161}}{4}\)

Where does t=0 come from?

pita0001 said:
Where does t=0 come from?

Recall we originally factored the equation as:

\(\displaystyle t\left(2t^2+11t-5 \right)=0\)

So, we need to equate each factor to zero to find all of the roots:

\(\displaystyle t=0\)

\(\displaystyle 2t^2+11t-5=0\)

The first equation gives us \(\displaystyle t=0\) and the second gives us \(\displaystyle t=\frac{-11\pm\sqrt{161}}{4}\), for a total of 3 solutions.

Ah, right!
Gratzi, gratzi!

Related to Solving a Cubic: Help Appreciated!

1. What is a cubic equation and how do you solve it?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. To solve a cubic equation, you can use a variety of methods such as the rational root theorem, factoring, or the cubic formula.

2. What are the steps for solving a cubic equation using the rational root theorem?

The steps for solving a cubic equation using the rational root theorem are:

1. List all possible rational roots of the equation using the factors of the constant term (d) over the factors of the leading coefficient (a).
  2. Test each potential root by plugging it into the equation. If it satisfies the equation, then it is a root.
  3. Use synthetic division to divide the original equation by the root you found.
  4. The result will be a quadratic equation. Solve for the remaining roots using the quadratic formula.

3. Can all cubic equations be solved algebraically?

No, not all cubic equations can be solved algebraically. Some equations have irrational or complex roots that cannot be represented using real numbers. In these cases, numerical methods such as graphing or approximation techniques may be used to find approximate solutions.

4. What is the cubic formula and how is it derived?

The cubic formula is a formula for solving a cubic equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0. It is derived using a process called completing the cube, where you manipulate the original equation to create a perfect cube on one side of the equation. The resulting equation can then be solved using the quadratic formula.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving cubic equations?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to solve certain types of cubic equations. These include the sum and product of roots, the difference of cubes formula, and recognizing patterns in the coefficients. However, these techniques may not work for all cubic equations and it is still important to understand the fundamentals of solving cubic equations.