1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a Differential Eq using Laplace and Unit-Step function

1. Apr 6, 2008 #1
    !!!Solving a Differential Eq using Laplace and Unit-Step function

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having a terrible time just starting this. I need some explanation here. I have given up on the text I am using...

I need to solve the following piecewise function using Laplace and Unit-Step function:

y"+4y=f(t) y(0)=-1, y'(0)=0

where f(t)= t, t<2
    5, t>2

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I condensed it to one line using the Unit Step function giving:

Applying Laplace to the LHS is easy enough, but what is the Laplace of the unit step function? I am having a hard tome extrapolating it from the text.

So far I have

Could somebody help me out with the "U" terms here?

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2008 #2
    SKIP AHEAD TO POST #10 That is where I need help
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  4. Apr 6, 2008 #3
    Can somebody please help me with the Laplace Transform

I cannot figure this out!!!!
  5. Apr 6, 2008 #4
    Is this even "Laplacable"? I guess I do not understand the rules
  6. Apr 7, 2008 #5
    nobody has any advice?
  7. Apr 7, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since the U(t-2) just changes the limits of integration to 2 to infinity, rather than 0 to infinity, you need to change the variable from x to u= x- 2 to get back the 0 limit.

Doing that gives a general rule that the Laplace transform of f(x)U(x-a) is e-asF(s) where F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(x).
  8. Apr 7, 2008 #7
    So for [itex]-t*U(t-2)[/itex] I should get [itex]e^{-2s}*-\frac{1}{s^2}[/itex]?
  9. Apr 7, 2008 #8
    I don't think this is correct...
  10. Apr 7, 2008 #9
    Halls, I just found this in my text as a side note. It would appear that the Laplace of f(t)*U(t-a)=e^{-as}*L{g(t+a)} ........ not just +L{g(t)}
  11. Apr 7, 2008 #10
    Okay so I have got it down to this point:

I was going to write the RHS over the LCD and then divide out by [s^2+4] .....sound good? .... there must be a neater way to so this... isn't there? This looks like it will get very sloppy very quick!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  12. Apr 7, 2008 #11
    This equation is B.S. F#$k this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?