1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a Differential Equation

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]
    \[P^{'}(t)+(\lambda +\mu )P(t)=\lambda \]

[/tex]

I have never worked with differential equations before and I am trying to work off of the one example we did in class, but I can't figure out where I am going wrong.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first thing I did was multiply both sides by
    [tex]
    \[e^{(\lambda +\mu )t}\]
    [/tex]

Then,
    [tex]
    \[\frac{d}{dt}[e^{(\lambda + \mu)t}P(t)]=\lambda e^{(\lambda + \mu)t}\]
    [/tex]

Integrating both sides,
    [tex]
    \[e^{(\lambda + \mu)t}P(t)=\frac{\lambda e^{(\lambda + \mu)t}}{\lambda + \mu} + C\]
    [/tex]

which seems to give me
    [tex]
    \[P(t)=\frac{\lambda}{\lambda + \mu}\]
    [/tex]

but I know that this is not correct since I am supposed to showing that the solution is
    [tex]
    \[P(t)=\frac{\lambda}{\lambda + \mu}(1 - e^{-(\lambda + \mu)t})+P(0)e^{-(\lambda + \mu)t}\]
    [/tex].

I don't think I am solving for C correctly but since I have never really been taught this I'm not quite sure what to do or how to get that solution. I'd really appreciate it if someone could let me know where I am going wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You were doing great up to here (above). You multiplied both sides of the equation by
    [tex]
    e^{-(\lambda + \mu)t}
    [/tex]
    but forgot to multiply the constant C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook