Solving a Law of Cosines Problem: Finding the Length of a Side

  • Thread starter Thread starter themadhatter1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
themadhatter1
Messages
139
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[PLAIN]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1046/mathproblemp.jpg

Homework Equations



Law of Cosines

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not really sure what to do for this problem, it looks easy but I can't figure it out. I tried # 11 and was able to find d.

d2=a2+b2-2(a)(b)cos(30)
d=3.23

However, I don't know where to go from there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:

1. What do you know about the angles of the opposite corners of a parallelogram?
2. What do you know about the sum of the angles of a parallelogram?
 
Ahh... thanks, I didn't know the basic properties of parallelograms. Now this problem is much easier.