Solving a Logic Problem: Prove ~(A * F)

• Thread starter particlepat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: Like I said, I don't know logic formalism very well. But it's pretty clear you want to prove A is false. Can you do that using one of those rules?
particlepat
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums and I came here because I completely stumped. This is basic logic but for some reason I'm having trouble with this one.

Homework Statement

1) ~(A * G)
2) ~(A * E)
3) G v E / prove ~(A * F)

As I go through and show each step I have to give which rule is being applied.

Homework Equations

Rules I can use
Modus Ponens MP
Modus Tollens MT
Disjuctive Syllogism DS
Simplification Simp
Hypothetical Syllogism HS
Constructive Dilemma CD
Conjunction Conj
Addition Add
DeMorgan DM
Associativity Assoc
and Distribution Dist

Rules I can't use
Transposition
Implication
Exportation
Tautology

The Attempt at a Solution

The first time I proved it but after reading the instructions I realized I'm not supposed to use tautology or material implications. It may be as simple as not knowing exactly how to simplify something like ~(A * G) when it's when the whole equation is negated.

Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really an expert on all of this logic terminology, but isn't simplifying ~(A * G) DeMorgan?

Dick said:
I'm not really an expert on all of this logic terminology, but isn't simplifying ~(A * G) DeMorgan?

right so assuming I did the following:

1) ~(A * G)
2) ~(A * E)
3) G v E /need to prove ~(A * F)
4) ~A v ~G because DM on line 1
5) ~A v ~E because DM on line 2

This is about where I get stuck...

particlepat said:
right so assuming I did the following:

1) ~(A * G)
2) ~(A * E)
3) G v E /need to prove ~(A * F)
4) ~A v ~G because DM on line 1
5) ~A v ~E because DM on line 2

This is about where I get stuck...

Like I said, I don't know logic formalism very well. But it's pretty clear you want to prove A is false. Can you do that using one of those rules?

Related to Solving a Logic Problem: Prove ~(A * F)

1. What is a logic problem?

A logic problem is a type of puzzle or thought experiment that requires the use of logical reasoning to reach a solution. It typically involves a set of clues or statements and requires the solver to use deductive reasoning to determine the correct answer.

2. How do you solve a logic problem?

The first step in solving a logic problem is to carefully read and analyze all of the given information. Then, you can use logical reasoning and process of elimination to eliminate possibilities and narrow down the correct solution. It is also helpful to create a visual representation of the problem, such as a grid or chart, to keep track of the information.

3. What does the statement "Prove ~(A * F)" mean?

The statement "Prove ~(A * F)" means to prove the negation of the conjunction of two statements, A and F. In other words, it is asking for evidence to show that both A and F cannot be true at the same time.

4. How can you prove ~(A * F) in a logic problem?

To prove ~(A * F) in a logic problem, you can use a variety of methods such as creating a truth table, using logical equivalences, or using mathematical principles such as De Morgan's laws. It is important to carefully consider all of the given information and use deductive reasoning to reach a conclusion.

5. Are there any strategies for solving logic problems?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be helpful when solving logic problems. These include creating a visual representation of the problem, using process of elimination, looking for keywords or key phrases in the statements, and breaking the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to carefully read and analyze all of the given information and to be patient and persistent in the problem-solving process.