(Symbolic Logic) Proving P v P = P (Idempotency) using a direct proof

In summary, the conversation is about showing that P v P = P using basic rules of inference and rules of replacement. The direction of P v P |- P is considered tricky and may require disjunctive elimination, which may not be allowed in the class. The speaker suggests deriving P v P v ~P and then using De Morgan's rule to continue the proof.
jdinatale
Ok, so it's very easy to show P v P = P (where = is logically equivalent) using a truth table as well as using a conditional proof.

P v P Premise
~p Assumption
p Disjunctive Syllogism (1, 2)
p & ~p Conjunction (3, 4)
~p --> (p & ~p) Conditional Proof (2--4)
p v ~p EMI
~p v p Commutation (6)
~p v ~~p Double Negation (7)
~(p & ~p) De Morgan's (8)
~~p Modus Tollens (5, 9)
p Double Negation

My question is, how do I show p v p = p WITHOUT using a truth table OR a conditional prove? I can only use the basic rules of inference (Excluded Middle Introduction, Disjunctive Syllogism, Addition, Conjunction, Simplification) as well as the rules of replacement (De Morgan's, Distribution, etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The <= direction, P |- P v P, is trivial by addition. The tricky direction is =>: P v P |- P. I think you would need at least disjunctive elimination ({P |- R, Q |- R, P v Q} |- R) for that so if that's not in your basic set you should probably try and derive it.

CompuChip said:
The <= direction, P |- P v P, is trivial by addition. The tricky direction is =>: P v P |- P. I think you would need at least disjunctive elimination ({P |- R, Q |- R, P v Q} |- R) for that so if that's not in your basic set you should probably try and derive it.

I'm not allowed to do that in this class. I have to do a line by line prove and I can't use an implication. I see what you're doing.

I have to do something like this:

1. P v P...Premise
2. P v P v ~P...Addition
3. P v ~(~P v P) De Morgans

etc.

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a formal system used to study the properties of logical reasoning and argumentation. It uses symbols and rules to represent and manipulate logical statements, allowing for the examination of arguments for validity and soundness.

2. What does the statement "P v P = P" mean?

In symbolic logic, "P v P = P" is known as the idempotent law. It states that the disjunction (v) of a logical statement with itself is logically equivalent to the original statement. In simpler terms, it means that if a statement is true, then it is still true even if it is repeated.

3. What is a direct proof?

A direct proof is a method of proving a statement or theorem by directly demonstrating its truth using logical reasoning and previously established facts or axioms. It involves starting with a known true statement and using logical steps to arrive at the desired conclusion.

4. How can "P v P = P" be proven using a direct proof?

To prove "P v P = P" using a direct proof, we start with the statement "P v P" and then use the law of idempotency to show that it is equivalent to P. This can be done by showing that both sides of the equation have the same truth values, or by using a truth table to demonstrate their logical equivalence.

5. Why is proving "P v P = P" important in symbolic logic?

The idempotent law, "P v P = P", is a fundamental property of disjunction in symbolic logic. It is used in many logical proofs and arguments, and understanding it is essential for further study in logic and mathematics. Additionally, proving this statement using a direct proof helps to reinforce the understanding and application of logical rules and reasoning.