Solving a Physics Work Problem: Calculating Work on a Moving Car

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of work required to stop a 1,500kg car traveling at 18 m/s. The formula KE=1/2(mv2) is used to calculate the work, resulting in an answer of 243,000 J. However, the professor only gave 5 out of 10 points, suggesting that there may have been a mistake in the answer. The conversation then delves into the importance of wording and the difference between positive and negative work in this context. Ultimately, it is determined that -243,000 J of work must be done to stop the car.
misyg
While driving my 1,500kg car at 18 m/s, I unexpectedly see a stop sign and must brake hard. How much work must be done on the car to stop it?

I used KE=1/2(mv2)
I came up with the answer of 243,000 J, but my professor gave me only 5 out of 10 points for the answer...any one see where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you didn't detail your answer enough. The question is, what do you have to do to stop your car? Change it's kinetic energy. So, work done is equal to the difference between final and initial kinetic energy:

W=EKF-EKI

So W=0J-243,000J
So it would take -243,000J of work to stop the car

Yes. You have a nice example http://www.fsas.upm.edu.my/~zainalas/PHY2001/2006/example4.pdf" on page 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
misyg said:
So W=0J-243,000J
So it would take -243,000J of work to stop the car

Yes, there is a very important aspect of the wording that must be given attention. Doing positive work on something, such as lifting an object off the ground, stores energy in the object that will later allow it to perform work of its own. Since in this problem you removed the ability of the car to do work (if it slows to a stop, its energy has been taken away), negative work had to be done on it.

Now, if the the question asks how much work is done by the car (which would have to be onto the ground or atmosphere or whatever heats up due to stopping the car), it would have been a positive number.

Related to Solving a Physics Work Problem: Calculating Work on a Moving Car

1. What is a "Physics work problem"?

A Physics work problem is a type of problem that involves using the principles of physics to calculate the amount of work done on an object or by an object. It requires knowledge of concepts such as force, distance, and work to solve.

2. How do you calculate work in a Physics work problem?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What units are used to measure work in a Physics work problem?

The SI unit for work is joule (J). However, other common units used to measure work include Newton-meter (N*m) and kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2).

4. How do you solve a Physics work problem?

To solve a Physics work problem, you first need to identify the given values for force and distance. Then, plug these values into the formula for work (W = F * d) and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the force and distance, as they must be in the same direction for the formula to work.

5. What are some real-life examples of Physics work problems?

Some common real-life examples of Physics work problems include pushing a cart, lifting weights, and pulling an object with a rope. Other examples can be found in activities such as riding a bike, using a lever to lift an object, and throwing a ball.