Solving a Problem Using Conservation of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object moving up a flat board at a 30° angle. The object experiences acceleration and the forces of gravity and friction. The conversation also mentions using the equations ƩF=ma, R=μ*N, E=0.5mv^2+mgh, and W=F*s to solve the problem. However, there is confusion about what to calculate and one person eventually realizes they need to find the friction constant, μ. They also mention trying to solve the problem using conservation of mechanical energy but encountering difficulties.
Nivoh
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge of "physics english".

First off, this is high school level. :)

I'm terribly sorry if this is confusing due to my lack of understand of the subject, the metric system, and my lack of grasp for the English language as well as terminology. What is μ?

Homework Statement

An object is moves up a flat board, the board forms an angle of 30° with the x-axis. During 0.76s, the object accelerates from 5m/s to 0. The only forces affecting the board is gravity and friction.

Homework Equations

ƩF=ma, R=μ*N, E=0.5mv^2+mgh, W=F*s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially solved this quite easily using ƩF=ma=mg*sin30°+μ*cos30°, where a=Δt/Δv.

Out of curiousity, I figured I could solve this using conservation of mechanical energy, as R is a constant force.

So I went ahead and used R=μ*N, R=E/s, where E is the mechanical energy lost due to friction. N=mg/cos30°, E=0.5mv^2-mgh, therefore μ=R/N=(0.5mv^2-mgh)*cos30°/mgs. s=1.9m, h=0.95m, g=9.81m/s^2, v=5m/s.

I seem however, to have failed, I wonder why? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry for being scum of the Earth and bumping my own post, but I really cannot rest without knowing what I've done wrong. Please let me know if my question is unclear, my English not sufficient to describe the problem, or if I'm not following guidelines.

Is it only me or is there no actual mention of what we have to calculate in this problem?

Rokas_P said:
Is it only me or is there no actual mention of what we have to calculate in this problem?

Duh, how silly of me, my apologies. Thank you for making me aware, was looking for μ, the friction constant.

The general outline of how I would approach this problem is this:

1. calculate acceleration
2. write down Newton's Second Law for this problem (here all the sines and cosines come in)
3. calculate μ (since μ is in R=μN)

Edit: I see that you're asking not about how to solve it but why you can't get the right answer when you try to solve it using another method. Hopefully someone can help you out with that :)

Related to Solving a Problem Using Conservation of Energy

1. How do you identify the types of energy involved in a problem?

To identify the types of energy involved in a problem, you must first understand the different forms of energy. These include potential energy, kinetic energy, thermal energy, electrical energy, and chemical energy. Look at the system and determine what types of energy are present and how they are being transferred or transformed.

2. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

3. How do you use conservation of energy to solve a problem?

To solve a problem using conservation of energy, you must first identify all the types of energy involved and their initial and final values. Then, apply the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total initial energy equals the total final energy. Use this equation to set up and solve for any unknown variables.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using conservation of energy to solve a problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for all types of energy involved in a problem. Another mistake is using incorrect values for energy or neglecting to consider the direction of energy transfer or transformation. It is also important to check units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. How does friction affect the conservation of energy in a problem?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and converts kinetic energy into thermal energy. This means that in a system with friction, some energy will be lost as heat and the total energy will not remain constant. In order to accurately solve a problem with friction, you must account for this energy loss and adjust your calculations accordingly.