Solving a Pulley Problem: Finding the Scale Reading

In summary, the diagram shows that there is a mass on the right side of the picture that is 2 kg, and the other mass is 1 kg. The problem is to find the tension in the rope. Newton's 2nd law is used to solve for the tension.
harmeet_angel
A pulley Problem

Homework Statement

So, in the diagram attached one mass is 1 kg, and the other one is 2 kg.
and what would be reading on the scale
attachment.php?attachmentid=9508&stc=1&d=1174143607.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is very much like an elevator problem where the elevator is moving up, and we try to find the apparent weight, and here we have to find the apparent weight of 1 kg mass.
so, first I found overall a to be let's say a

Acceleration of the system = a
and then using that apparent weight formula <dunn want to derive it here>

Apparent weight = reading on the scale = 1 kg x (g+a)

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
oops, and though the picture shows that the scale measuring hook is attached to 2 kg mass, however, since I made this question.. so, yea, actually the mass on the right should say 2 kg

If I'm interpreting the problem correctly (the left side of the picture is cut off, so I'm not sure) then this has nothing to do with apparent weight on an accelerating elevator.

Here's a hint: The scale will display the tension in the rope. How would you solve for the tension? (Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law to each mass.)

Last edited:
woaw!
thanks.
So, that would be

acceleration = (g(2-1) )/ total mass = g/3

and Net force on 1 kg = (g/3) [N]

and T = W+ (g/3)
=g+(g/3)

and so the reading would be = g (1+(1/3))

am i right?

I think i am using the right technique but math may be wrong..

You are correct.

(But when presenting your work, always start from first principles--Newton's laws in this case--and show how you arrived at your answer. Don't just state your answer. I know how you got it, and you're correct, but if you were mistaken I'd have no idea where you went wrong. :wink: )

Related to Solving a Pulley Problem: Finding the Scale Reading

1. How do you determine the scale reading in a pulley problem?

In order to determine the scale reading in a pulley problem, you must first identify the forces acting on the pulley system. This includes the weight of the object being lifted, the tension in the rope, and any other external forces. Then, use the principle of conservation of energy to equate the work done by the forces with the change in potential energy of the object. Finally, solve for the scale reading using the equation: Scale Reading = Weight of Object - Tension in Rope.

2. What is the principle of conservation of energy and how does it apply to pulley problems?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. In the case of pulley problems, this means that the total amount of energy in the system (kinetic and potential) remains constant. This principle is used to determine the scale reading by equating the work done by the forces with the change in potential energy of the object.

3. Can you explain the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied. This means that the tension in the rope is the same on both sides of the pulley. A movable pulley, on the other hand, is attached to the object being lifted and changes both the direction and the magnitude of the force. This results in a different tension in the rope on each side of the pulley.

4. Do the number of pulleys in a system affect the scale reading?

Yes, the number of pulleys in a system can affect the scale reading because each pulley adds or subtracts tension in the rope. This means that the more pulleys in the system, the less tension there will be in the rope and therefore, a smaller scale reading.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a pulley problem?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider the weight of the pulleys themselves, which adds to the weight of the object being lifted. Another mistake is using the wrong equation or forgetting to equate the work done by the forces with the change in potential energy of the object. Additionally, not properly identifying and considering all the forces acting on the pulley system can lead to incorrect scale readings.