Solving a Simple Equation for Gamma: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
In summary: Tan[xa] and -x/b and seeing when they intersect. However, this method only provides a few specific solutions and cannot show how gamma varies with different values of a. Another way to solve for gamma is by differentiating the equation and solving for d\gamma, which shows how gamma varies with changes in a.
Norman
I am trying to solve this equation:

[tex] Tan[\gamma a]=-\frac{\gamma}{\beta} [/tex]

where [itex] \beta [/itex] and a are just numbers and I am trying to solve for [itex] \gamma [/itex]. I tried graphing it but I don't see how the solution varies with the choice of a, which is a free parameter in the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve by drawing the graph of both Tan[xa] and -x/b and seeing when they intersect. (i used x in place of the symbol you gave)

thus it has many solutions as tan is a trigonometric function.

If i took a as 4 and b as 5 then
x can equal 0, Tan[0] = 0
x can equal 3, Tan[12] = -3/5 (approximatly)

this is from using a graphics calculator and finding where the two graphs intersect.

There are infinate more values.

i do not know of any other way to solve for the unknown. Yet.

Yes I understand how to do that... maybe I didn't phrase my question well. By holding [itex] \beta [/itex] constant and varying a, I can obtain and bunch of numbers for [itex] \gamma [/itex] and then fit the curve to obtain how [itex] \gamma [/itex] varies. What I was wondering was if there was another way to do this, that doesn't force me to use curve fitting. Any ideas anyone? Or maybe an easy way to see how [itex] \gamma [/itex] varies when changing a.
Thanks.

[tex]\tan {\gamma a} = -\frac{\gamma}{\beta}[/tex]

Treat a as a function of gamma and differentiate.

[tex]\sec^2{\gamma a} \Big( a + \gamma \frac{da}{d\gamma} \Big) = -\frac{1}{\beta}[/tex]

Solve for [itex]d\gamma[/itex].

[tex]d\gamma = \frac{-a \beta da}{\cos^2{\gamma a} + a\beta}[/tex]

cookiemonster

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities. It consists of an equal sign (=) and expressions on either side.

2. How do you solve a simple equation?

To solve a simple equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides until the variable is alone on one side.

3. What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are operations that undo each other. For example, addition and subtraction are inverse operations, as well as multiplication and division. Using inverse operations is essential in solving equations.

4. Can an equation have more than one solution?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution. This means that there can be multiple values for the variable that make the equation true. However, some equations may have no solution.

5. How do you check if a solution is correct?

To check if a solution is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. If it does, then your solution is correct.