1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a simple equation

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    I am trying to solve this equation:

[tex] Tan[\gamma a]=-\frac{\gamma}{\beta} [/tex]

where [itex] \beta [/itex] and a are just numbers and I am trying to solve for [itex] \gamma [/itex]. I tried graphing it but I don't see how the solution varies with the choice of a, which is a free parameter in the problem.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2
    You can solve by drawing the graph of both Tan[xa] and -x/b and seeing when they intersect. (i used x in place of the symbol you gave)

thus it has many solutions as tan is a trigonometric function.

If i took a as 4 and b as 5 then
    x can equal 0, Tan[0] = 0
    x can equal 3, Tan[12] = -3/5 (approximatly)

this is from using a graphics calculator and finding where the two graphs intersect.

There are infinate more values.

i do not know of any other way to solve for the unknown. Yet.
  4. Apr 26, 2004 #3
    Yes I understand how to do that... maybe I didn't phrase my question well. By holding [itex] \beta [/itex] constant and varying a, I can obtain and bunch of numbers for [itex] \gamma [/itex] and then fit the curve to obtain how [itex] \gamma [/itex] varies. What I was wondering was if there was another way to do this, that doesn't force me to use curve fitting. Any ideas anyone? Or maybe an easy way to see how [itex] \gamma [/itex] varies when changing a.
  5. Apr 26, 2004 #4
    [tex]\tan {\gamma a} = -\frac{\gamma}{\beta}[/tex]

Treat a as a function of gamma and differentiate.

[tex]\sec^2{\gamma a} \Big( a + \gamma \frac{da}{d\gamma} \Big) = -\frac{1}{\beta}[/tex]

Solve for [itex]d\gamma[/itex].

[tex]d\gamma = \frac{-a \beta da}{\cos^2{\gamma a} + a\beta}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?