Solving a System of Differential Equations: Ants at the Corners of a Square

In summary: Also, you need to show that d\xi \ne 0. But that's obvious.Suppose there is an ant at each of the four corners of a square with side length 1, such that (0,0) and (1,1) are at opposite corners of the square. The ant at (0,0) is facing the ant at (1,0) is facing the ant at (1,1) and so forth. Each ant will choose its path such that it is always facing the ant in front of it. If you can imagine this situation, the ants should all meet at the center of the square. Assume the ants are traveling at some constant velocity 1 as well.In summary
Arkuski
Suppose there is an ant at each of the four corners of a square with side length 1, such that (0,0) and (1,1) are at opposite corners of the square. The ant at (0,0) is facing the ant at (1,0) is facing the ant at (1,1) and so forth. Each ant will choose its path such that it is always facing the ant in front of it. If you can imagine this situation, the ants should all meet at the center of the square. Assume the ants are traveling at some constant velocity 1 as well.

This situation can be described as a system of differential equations. Each ant travels in a path that is identical to some rotation of the other paths. For example, the path that ant (1,0) takes is a 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation of the path that ant (0,0) takes. Therefore, if ant (0,0) travels on path [itex](x(t),y(t))[/itex], then ant (1,0) travels on path [itex](1-y(t),x(t))[/itex]. At any given point in time, ant (0,0) will be facing ant (1,0) such that [itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{x(t)-y(t)}{1-x(t)-y(t)}[/itex]. Let's go ahead and state the entire system as it applies to ant (0,0):

[itex]x'(t)^2+y'(t)^2=1[/itex]: Implies that velocity is constant
[itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{x(t)-y(t)}{1-x(t)-y(t)}[/itex]
[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]
[itex]y(0)=0[/itex]
[itex]x'(0)=1[/itex]
[itex]y'(0)=0[/itex]

If anyone knows how to attack a problem like this please share your insight!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the math but I know the answer is a logarithmic spiral (well, 4 of them).

Maybe if you work it backwards in polar coordinates, with all 4 starting at the origin and moving away from each other, that will do it for you.

Arkuski said:
Suppose there is an ant at each of the four corners of a square with side length 1, such that (0,0) and (1,1) are at opposite corners of the square. The ant at (0,0) is facing the ant at (1,0) is facing the ant at (1,1) and so forth. Each ant will choose its path such that it is always facing the ant in front of it. If you can imagine this situation, the ants should all meet at the center of the square. Assume the ants are traveling at some constant velocity 1 as well.

This situation can be described as a system of differential equations. Each ant travels in a path that is identical to some rotation of the other paths. For example, the path that ant (1,0) takes is a 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation of the path that ant (0,0) takes. Therefore, if ant (0,0) travels on path [itex](x(t),y(t))[/itex], then ant (1,0) travels on path [itex](y(t),1-x(t))[/itex]. At any given point in time, ant (0,0) will be facing ant (1,0) such that [itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{1-x(t)-y(t)}{x(t)-y(t)}[/itex]. Let's go ahead and state the entire system as it applies to ant (0,0):

[itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{1-x(t)-y(t)}{x(t)-y(t)}[/itex]
[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]
[itex]y(0)=0[/itex]
[itex]x'(0)=1[/itex]
[itex]y'(0)=0[/itex]

The equation [itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{1-x(t)-y(t)}{x(t)-y(t)}[/itex] blows up at t=0 because x(0) = y(0) = 0, while x'(0) = 1. The LHS and RHS thus don't seem to agree at t=0. Is there a mistake in the equation?

Last edited:
Mute I fixed it. It was flipped

This will be far simpler to work out in polar coordinates. Why dont' you work out formulas for r'(t) and theta'(t) ?

If you want to convert back to rectangular in the end, then x(t)=r(t)cos(\theta(t))...

EDIT: Just to clarify, in polar coordinates your origin should be the center of the square, not the initial point of one of the ants.

Last edited:
Arkuski said:

This situation can be described as a system of differential equations. Each ant travels in a path that is identical to some rotation of the other paths. For example, the path that ant (1,0) takes is a 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation of the path that ant (0,0) takes. Therefore, if ant (0,0) travels on path [itex](x(t),y(t))[/itex], then ant (1,0) travels on path [itex](1-y(t),x(t))[/itex]. At any given point in time, ant (0,0) will be facing ant (1,0) such that [itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{x(t)-y(t)}{1-x(t)-y(t)}[/itex]. Let's go ahead and state the entire system as it applies to ant (0,0):

[itex]\frac{y'(t)}{x'(t)}=\frac{x(t)-y(t)}{1-x(t)-y(t)}[/itex]
[itex]x(0)=0[/itex]
[itex]y(0)=0[/itex]
[itex]x'(0)=1[/itex]
[itex]y'(0)=0[/itex]

Square the second equation and combine it with the first to obtain:

[tex]y'=\frac{x-y}{\sqrt{(1-x-y)^2+(x-y)^2}}[/tex]
[tex]x'=\frac{(1-x-y)}{\sqrt{(1-x-y)^2+(x-y)^2}}[/tex]

This coupled pair of ODE's looks like a fairly straightforward system to solve analytically.

Last edited:
Ok in polar coordinates, set up the origin as the center of the square. After any amount of time the ants will still form a square with the same center. So you can draw the velocity vector of which points inward at a forty five degree angle with the radial direction. And its length is 1. using the radial component, r' = const. Using the angular component, (rtheta)' = const. You just find the constants from looking at the simple diagram, and then solve for r(t) and then solve for theta(t). ezpz.

Chestermiller said:
Square the second equation and combine it with the first to obtain:

[tex]y'=\frac{x-y}{\sqrt{(1-x-y)^2+(x-y)^2}}[/tex]
[tex]x'=\frac{(1-x-y)}{\sqrt{(1-x-y)^2+(x-y)^2}}[/tex]

This coupled pair of ODE's looks like a fairly straightforward system to solve analytically.

Here's some more ezpz. Substitute:
[tex]x=\frac{1}{2}-X[/tex]
[tex]y=\frac{1}{2}-Y[/tex]
[tex]d\xi={\sqrt{(1-x-y)^2+(x-y)^2}}dt[/tex]
to obtain:
[tex]\frac{dX}{d\xi}=-X-Y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dY}{d\xi}=X-Y[/tex]

Initial condition: [tex]X=Y=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Which is the same as
[tex]\frac{dY}{dX}= -\frac{X- Y}{X+ Y}[/tex]
Y(1/2)= 1/2.

HallsofIvy said:
Which is the same as
[tex]\frac{dY}{dX}= -\frac{X- Y}{X+ Y}[/tex]
Y(1/2)= 1/2.
Hi HallsofIvy,
I haven't been able to solve the trajectory equation analytically when expressed in this form, although, of course, that doesn't mean that it can't be done. On the other hand, the analytic solution to the pair of parametric coupled ODEs that I gave is very straightforward. Have you been able to solve the single ODE analytically? I haven't been able to work my analytic solution parameterized in terms of [itex]\xi[/itex] into a form that eliminates [itex]\xi[/itex].

Chet

This is a rational equation, and also an Abel equation of the second kind.
The solution can be obtained implicitly as:
[itex]-\frac{1}{2}\ln(\frac{x^2+y^2}{x^2})-\arctan(\frac{y}{x})-\ln(x) = C[/itex]

Better stick to the decoupled system, which is easier to solve because it's linear, just decouple and solve individually:
[itex]x(t)=e^{-t}(c_1\sin(t)+c_2\cos(t)), y(t)=e^{-t}(c_2\sin(t)-c_1\cos(t))[/itex]

edit: (oops, sorry for giving it away!)

I came across a similar problem with 3 ants about 10 years ago, and spent hours and hours on it before forgetting about it. This just reminded me about it!

Looking at the maths involved it seems I had no chance. :smile:

Bigfoot, your solution is incorrect. The trajectory should have constant speed and yours decays exponentially. The solution should reach the origin in finite time.

Also, the equation that Halls wrote down is an example of a first order homogeneous equation. So you could solve it using another change of variables. u =Y/X. Perhaps that is what bigfoot did to get his implicit solution. Still, I agree with Chester, solutions in terms of t are much clearer here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_differential_equation#Homogeneous_functions

Vargo said:
Bigfoot, your solution is incorrect. The trajectory should have constant speed and yours decays exponentially. The solution should reach the origin in finite time.

Also, the equation that Halls wrote down is an example of a first order homogeneous equation. So you could solve it using another change of variables. u =Y/X. Perhaps that is what bigfoot did to get his implicit solution. Still, I agree with Chester, solutions in terms of t are much clearer here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homogeneous_differential_equation#Homogeneous_functions

I disagree, regarding Bigfoot's solution. It looks OK to me. He simply inadvertently used t as the parametric variable, rather than my [itex]\xi[/itex] (and used x and y instead of my X and Y). You can easily find the relationship between t and [itex]\xi[/itex] once you know the solution for X and Y. I think you will find that when t is infinite, [itex]\xi[/itex] is equal to unity.

Chet

Oh I see. You're right of course. I saw the t and my mind forgot about the change of variables.

Related to Solving a System of Differential Equations: Ants at the Corners of a Square

1. How do you set up a system of differential equations for the "Ants at the Corners of a Square" problem?

To set up the system of differential equations, we need to define the variables involved in the problem. In this case, we have four ants at the corners of a square, so we can use the position of each ant as a variable. We can also define the velocity of each ant as another variable. Then, we can use the relationship between the position and velocity to create a system of differential equations.

2. What is the purpose of solving a system of differential equations for this problem?

Solving a system of differential equations allows us to model the behavior of the ants at the corners of a square over time. By solving the equations, we can determine the positions and velocities of the ants at any given time, which can help us understand their movements and interactions.

3. How do you solve a system of differential equations for this problem?

There are various methods for solving a system of differential equations, such as the substitution method, the elimination method, and the matrix method. In this particular problem, we can use the substitution method to solve for the positions and velocities of the ants at different times.

4. What are the assumptions made when solving this system of differential equations?

Some common assumptions made when solving a system of differential equations for the "Ants at the Corners of a Square" problem include assuming that the ants move at a constant velocity and that they do not interact with each other. Additionally, we may assume that the square is a perfect shape and that the ants move in a straight line between corners.

5. How can we use the solution to this system of differential equations?

The solution to the system of differential equations can be used to predict the future positions and velocities of the ants at the corners of the square. It can also be used to analyze the behavior of the ants over time and make conclusions about their movements and interactions. Additionally, the solution can be used to compare with experimental data and adjust the model if necessary.