Solving A Trignometric Equation

• Thread starter TrueStar
  • Start date
In summary, Homework Equations:-There are two solutions to cos2x=0.-For cos2x=0, there are four solutions in [0, \pi].-If the problem is to solve cos(2x)(2cos(x)+ 1)= 0, then either cos(2x)= 0 or 2cos(x)+ 1= 0.
TrueStar

Homework Statement

Find all solutions to the equation in the interval [0,2[tex]\pi[/tex]] algebraically.

cos2x(2cos+1)=0

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I've done, but I don't think it's right. I set cos2x=0 and 2cos+1=0. Since cos2x is a multi-angle, I let t=2x and rewrote it as cost=0 That means t equals [tex]\pi[/tex]\2+n[tex]\pi[/tex].

That also means 2x=[tex]\pi[/tex]\2+n[tex]\pi[/tex]. After dividing out the 2, I get x=[tex]\pi[/tex]\4+n[tex]\pi[/tex]\2.

I get the answers [tex]\pi[/tex]\4, 3[tex]\pi[/tex]\4, 5[tex]\pi[/tex]\4, and 7[tex]\pi[/tex]\4. This doesn't seem right to me. Shouldn't I only get two answers.

The other one seems easier. I got cosx by itself and it is cosx=-1\2. That means x is equal to 2[tex]\pi[/tex]\3 and 4[tex]\pi[/tex]\3.

Am I doing this correctly?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The pi symbols aren't supposed to be raised up like that. It's just pi; sorry about that.

cosx=0 has two solutions, but you have four solutions to cos2x=0. That 2 multiplied with the x in cos2x makes its period only half as long as that of cosx, going from a period of 2[itex]\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex]
cosx=0 has just two solutions in [0, [itex]\pi[/itex]], so cos2x=0 should have twice as many solutions, because it now goes through two periods in [0, [itex]\pi[/itex]].

Hopefully this doesn't make it more complicated for you. You can also look at the graph of cos2x to see that there are four solutions in [0, [itex]\pi[/itex]].

Instead of the [ tex ] tags, you can use [ itex ] where the LaTeX fits better within other text like you have. Also, your division lines should be going the other way. For example, [itex]\pi[/itex]/4

Thank you for you reply! I plugged in the equations separately, and then as the original equation. It really helped visualize what was going on and I could double check using the trace function. I did not think to try this before. It all makes sense now!

I'll try to clean up my tags and symbols; thanks for the tips.

?? What does "2cos+1" mean? Is that supposed to be "2cos(x)+ 1"?
If the problem is to solve cos(2x)(2cos(x)+ 1)= 0 then, yes, either cos(2x)= 0 or 2cos(x)+ 1= 0. cosine is 0, in the interval [itex][0, 2\pi][/itex] only for 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex] so you have 2x= 0 and [itex]2x= 2\pi[/itex] as roots.

2cos(x)+ 1= 0 gives cos(x)= -1/2. Think about dividing an equilateral triangle in half.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's supposed to be 2cos(x)+1. I'm sorry, I mistyped it. I calculated the problem correctly and Bohrok helped me understand why x has twice as many solutions for cos(2x)=0.

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation and use inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable. You may also need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation.

2. What are the steps to solving a trigonometric equation?

The steps to solving a trigonometric equation include: identifying the trigonometric function, isolating the function on one side of the equation, using inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the variable, and simplifying the equation using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the equation rather than relying solely on a calculator.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a trigonometric equation?

Some common mistakes when solving a trigonometric equation include forgetting to use inverse trigonometric functions, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and not checking for extraneous solutions.

5. Do all trigonometric equations have solutions?

No, not all trigonometric equations have solutions. Some equations may have no solution, while others may have an infinite number of solutions. It is important to check for extraneous solutions and to understand the domain and range of the trigonometric functions involved in the equation.