Solving an equation with Dirac delta functions

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving complex exponential functions and the conditions under which the constants must be equal. It is proven using the Fourier transform and the concept of distributions. The conversation also mentions different approaches to understanding the proof.
eliotsbowe
Hello, I'm dealing with the following equation:

[tex]A e^{jat} + B e^{jbt} = C e^{jct}[/tex] [tex] \forall t \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

My book says: given nonzero constants A,B,C, if the above equation yelds for any real t, then the a,b,c constants must be equal.

The above statement is prooved by taking the Fourier transform of the complex exponentials:
[tex]A2\pi \delta(t+a) + B2\pi \delta(t+b) = C2\pi \delta(t+c)[/tex][tex]A \delta(t+a) + B \delta(t+b) = C \delta(t+c)[/tex]

But I don't really get how such an equation as the last one can force a,b,c to be equal.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The left side of the equation has a spike at -a and at -b and is 0 everywhere else. The right side has a spike at -c and is 0 everywhere else.

I think I got it, thanks!

ellotsbowe, that is a truly marvelous proof, using distributions to get more or less a result of elementary algebra. What book did you get it from?

I thought the same thing! My first thought was successive derivatives and set ## t=0 ##. This is very slick.

What is a Dirac delta function?

A Dirac delta function is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely narrow and tall spike at a specific point, with an integral of one over its entire domain. It is often used to model point sources in physics and engineering problems.

How do you solve an equation with Dirac delta functions?

To solve an equation with Dirac delta functions, you first need to use the properties of the delta function to simplify the equation. Then, you can use the definition of the delta function to determine the unknown variables and solve for them.

What are the properties of Dirac delta functions?

The properties of Dirac delta functions include: the integral of the delta function is equal to one, the delta function is symmetric about the origin, and the delta function is zero everywhere except at the point where it is evaluated.

How are Dirac delta functions used in physics and engineering?

Dirac delta functions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model point sources, such as point charges or point masses. They are also used in signal processing to represent impulses or sudden changes in a system.

Can Dirac delta functions be integrated or differentiated?

Dirac delta functions are not traditional functions and cannot be integrated or differentiated in the traditional sense. However, they can be integrated or differentiated under an integral sign using the properties of the delta function.