Solve F(x,y) = 0 for y = 1: Solve Equation

• Thread starter Max0007
  • Start date
The solutions are x = -2, -1, 1" or, if you need the imaginary answers included, "The solutions are x = -2, -1, 1, i, and -i."In summary, the conversation discusses solving a factorized function with the given value of y. The resulting equation is solved, and the solutions are given as x = -2, -1, and 1. The inclusion of imaginary answers may vary depending on the expectations of the class or instructor.
Max0007

Homework Statement

Hello,

This factorized function F(x,y) = (x^2+y^2)(x+y)(x-y)(x+2y)

The question I need to answer is solve F(x,y) = 0 for y = 1

0 = (x^2+1^2)(x+1)(x-1)(x+2(1))

would it be this? or first I do f(x,y) = 0 then do it again with y = 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Max0007 said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

This factorized function F(x,y) = (x^2+y^2)(x+y)(x-y)(x+2y)

The question I need to answer is solve F(x,y) = 0 for y = 1

would it be this? or first I do f(x,y) = 0 then do it again with y = 1?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's just fine to solve that equation with y=1. Can you solve it?

Dick said:
It's just fine to solve that equation with y=1. Can you solve it?
This is what I go S = {-2,-1,1}

is this correct?

Max0007 said:
This is what I go S = {-2,-1,1}

is this correct?

Looks fine to me.

You might also have to include the imaginary answers. Depending on your class/instructor

FAQ: Solve F(x,y) = 0 for y = 1: Solve Equation

1. What does it mean to "solve" an equation?

Solving an equation means finding the value(s) of the variable(s) that make the equation true.

2. What is the purpose of solving an equation?

Solving an equation allows us to find the specific value(s) of the variable(s) that satisfy the equation, which can help us better understand relationships between different quantities and make predictions or solve problems.

3. How do you solve an equation with two variables?

To solve an equation with two variables, you can use algebraic manipulation to isolate one variable on one side of the equation and then solve for its value. Once you have the value of one variable, you can substitute it into the equation to solve for the other variable.

4. What is the process for solving F(x,y) = 0 for y = 1?

The process for solving F(x,y) = 0 for y = 1 involves substituting y = 1 into the equation and then solving for the value(s) of x that satisfy the equation. This can involve algebraic manipulation and possibly using a calculator or other tools to solve for x.

5. Can there be more than one solution to an equation?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to an equation. This means that there may be multiple values of the variable(s) that satisfy the equation and make it true. It is important to check the solutions you find by substituting them into the original equation to make sure they are valid.

Back