Solving an integral using Differentiation under the integral sign

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving two integrals and the use of Differentiation under the integral sign technique. The approach used by the person does not lead to a valid answer as the difference of the two integrals is undefined. Another person suggests rephrasing the problem to make it convergent and provides a solution using advanced techniques. They also recommend studying Laplace Transform and suggest a book for further reading.
MBM1
I am Trying to solve the difference of the two following integrals:

(1) $g_{1}(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{cos(kx)}{k}\,dk$
(2) $g_{2}(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\exp(-2k)cos(kx)}{k}\,dk$

I read the thread on Advanced Integration Techniques and it mentioned the Differentiation under the integral sign technique which I am unfamiliar to. Nonetheless I tried it and found ,
$g_{1}(x)=\infty $ and $g_{2}(x)= \infty + \frac{1}{2}ln(1+\frac{4}{x^2})$

Hence $g_{1}(x) - g_{2}(x) = -\frac{1}{2}ln(1+\frac{4}{x^2})$.

What I would like to know is my final answer true or false and if it is false where did I make an invalid assumption or mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
MBM said:

I read the thread on Advanced Integration Techniques and it mentioned the Differentiation under the integral sign technique which I am unfamiliar to. Nonetheless I tried it and found ,

What I would like to know is my final answer true or false and if it is false where did I make an invalid assumption or mistake?

You got the difference $\infty - \infty$ and you set it equal to $0$, but this difference is undefined.Using Euler's formula $$e^{ix}=\cos{(x)}+i \sin{(x)}$$
we get $$\cos{(x)}=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}$$

Therefore we have the following:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{cos(kx)}{k}\,dk- \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-2k}cos(kx)}{k}\,dk =\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx}}{2k}\,dk -\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-2k}(e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx})}{2k}\,dk= \\ \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx}}{2k}\,dk -\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{(ix-2)k}+e^{-(ix+2)k}}{2k}\,dk$$

mathmari said:
You got the difference $\infty - \infty$ and you set it equal to $0$, but this difference is undefined.Using Euler's formula $$e^{ix}=\cos{(x)}+i \sin{(x)}$$
we get $$\cos{(x)}=\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2}$$

Therefore we have the following:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{cos(kx)}{k}\,dk- \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-2k}cos(kx)}{k}\,dk =\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx}}{2k}\,dk -\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{-2k}(e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx})}{2k}\,dk= \\ \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{ikx}+e^{-ikx}}{2k}\,dk -\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{e^{(ix-2)k}+e^{-(ix+2)k}}{2k}\,dk$$
@ mathmari, thank you for your response. You have decomposed the integral into 4 complex exponential integrals multiplied by a hyperbola however I do not see how it simplifies the integral, i.e. consider the following integral

$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\exp(ikx)}{2k}\,dk$ is still difficult to solve with the knowledge that I have. (or maybe I am not thinking)

MBM said:

The problem is bad set because both integrals diverge. It is reasonable instead the calculation of the integral...

$\displaystyle g(x) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1 - e^{-2\ k}}{k}\ \cos k\ x\ dk\ (1)$

... which converges. The calculation of (1) is realatively easy using some advanced technique like the Laplace Transform, much more difficult using an elementary approach...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
$$F(y)=\int^\infty_0 \frac{\cos(x)(1-e^{-2xy})}{x} dx$$

$$F'(y)=2\int^\infty_0 e^{-2xy}\cos(x)\,dx = \frac{4y}{1+4y^2}$$

$$F(y)=\frac{\log(1+4y^2)}{2}$$

Hence we have

$$F\left(\frac{1}{y}\right)=\int^\infty_0 \frac{\cos(x)(1-e^{-2\frac{x}{y}})}{x} dx$$

Now let $x/y=t$

$$\int^\infty_0 \frac{\cos(yt)(1-e^{-2t})}{t} dt =\frac{\log\left(1+\frac{4}{y^2} \right)}{2} $$

ZaidAlyafey said:

$$F(y)=\frac{\log(1+4y^2)}{2}$$

Hence we have

$$F\left(\frac{1}{y}\right)=\int^\infty_0 \frac{\cos(x)(1-e^{-2\frac{x}{y}})}{x} dx$$

Now let $x/y=t$

$$\int^\infty_0 \frac{\cos(yt)(1-e^{-2t})}{t} dt =\frac{\log\left(1+\frac{4}{y^2} \right)}{2} $$

thanks a lot. how did you become good in math, do you have any books you could recommend for me to read?

MBM said:
thanks a lot. how did you become good in math, do you have any books you could recommend for me to read?

You're welcome.

Essentially, my knowledge (of this particular field) is based on reading different articles, papers and books. I would suggest some books but that depends on the area you're interested in.

Since this is not the best place to discuss that , I prefer you present your concerns via visitor messages or private messages.

ZaidAlyafey said:

From the formal point of view there is some problem in this step since the rule of derivation under the integral sign is valid only if the range of integration is limited...

Leibniz Integral Rule -- from Wolfram MathWorld

In this particular case, it should be noted that setting y = 0 would lead to the conclusion that ...

$\displaystyle F^{\ '} (0) = \int_{0}^{\infty} \cos x\ dx = 0\ (1)$

which of course is not true...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Solving an integral using Differentiation under the integral sign

What is "Differentiation under the integral sign"?

Differentiation under the integral sign is a technique used in calculus to solve integrals by applying the rules of differentiation to the integrand before integrating.

When should I use Differentiation under the integral sign to solve an integral?

Differentiation under the integral sign should be used when the integrand contains a parameter that varies with the variable of integration. This technique can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

How do I apply Differentiation under the integral sign?

To apply Differentiation under the integral sign, first differentiate the integrand with respect to the variable of integration. Then, integrate the result with respect to the same variable, treating the other variable as a constant.

What are the advantages of using Differentiation under the integral sign?

Using Differentiation under the integral sign can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also be helpful in solving integrals with complex or difficult-to-integrate functions.

Are there any limitations to using Differentiation under the integral sign?

One limitation of Differentiation under the integral sign is that it can only be applied to certain types of integrals. It also requires a good understanding of differentiation and integration rules, so it may not be suitable for beginners in calculus.