1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving an IVP using a direction field I think

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Instructions: You will need to use software for these problems. The goal is to find a number x0 such that the solution to the initial value problem x'=ƒ(t,x) x(0)=x0 passes through the given "target". Attach figures that you used to answer the problems.

1. Consider the differential equation x'=x-t
    (a) Find x0 such that the solution of the initial value problem x'=x-t, x(0)-x0 will pass through (4,0).

(b) Find x0 such that the solution of the initial value problem x'=x-t, x(0)-x0 will pass through (6,0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So there are many places here where I "freeze up" before I really attempt to solve this problem. One is because I don't even know how to use the software they want us to use. I think it's something similar to matlab but this is only to visualize direction fields. The link we were given was

http://math.rice.edu/~dfield/dfpp.html

I went there but I wasn't sure how to get it to look like anything other than the default. I wrote the equation x'=x-t into the field for differential equation and hit graph but nothing happened.

I just want to double check, I am not supposed to start solving it by hand right? I tried to...

x'=x-t

subtract x to the other side since it is a linear equation, no higher powers involved.

x'-x=-t

Using the integrating factor e∫-1dt=e-t

now if i multiply everything by e-t

e-tx'-e-tx=-te-t

but the second term, the one containing the x to the power of one, does not contain any t term that I can use with x and x' so that I can use the product rule in reverse. This leads me to think it is not a linear equation? which then leads me back to my first question...am I supposed to not do anything by hand?

When I pull up the "DFIELD" applet there is a field for me to put my differential equation in but it is set to take in an x' by default so should I assume I should just put it into the field?

I am still not comfortable enough to look at these problems and visualize what it asks. I don't feel like I understand what goes on in every case. It's like I am writing an essay, and I am choosing to include long and sophisticated words that while I may know their definition if singled out of context, I have no idea when and where to use it.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

When t= 4 and x= 0, x'= x- t= 0- 4= -4. That is the initial value of x' you need.

Similarly, for the second problem, with t= 6 and x= 0, x'= 0- 6= -6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted