Solving an IVP using a direction field I think

In summary, solving an IVP (Initial Value Problem) using a direction field involves plotting a graph with arrows that indicate the direction of the solution curve at different points. This allows us to visualize and approximate the solution to the differential equation, making it easier to determine the initial conditions that satisfy the equation. By following the direction of the arrows and adjusting the initial conditions accordingly, we can accurately solve the IVP and find the solution to the differential equation. This method is particularly useful when the differential equation is difficult to solve analytically.
castrodisastro

Homework Statement

Instructions: You will need to use software for these problems. The goal is to find a number x0 such that the solution to the initial value problem x'=ƒ(t,x) x(0)=x0 passes through the given "target". Attach figures that you used to answer the problems.

1. Consider the differential equation x'=x-t
(a) Find x0 such that the solution of the initial value problem x'=x-t, x(0)-x0 will pass through (4,0).

(b) Find x0 such that the solution of the initial value problem x'=x-t, x(0)-x0 will pass through (6,0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So there are many places here where I "freeze up" before I really attempt to solve this problem. One is because I don't even know how to use the software they want us to use. I think it's something similar to MATLAB but this is only to visualize direction fields. The link we were given was

http://math.rice.edu/~dfield/dfpp.html

I went there but I wasn't sure how to get it to look like anything other than the default. I wrote the equation x'=x-t into the field for differential equation and hit graph but nothing happened.

I just want to double check, I am not supposed to start solving it by hand right? I tried to...

x'=x-t

subtract x to the other side since it is a linear equation, no higher powers involved.

x'-x=-t

Using the integrating factor e∫-1dt=e-t

now if i multiply everything by e-t

e-tx'-e-tx=-te-t

but the second term, the one containing the x to the power of one, does not contain any t term that I can use with x and x' so that I can use the product rule in reverse. This leads me to think it is not a linear equation? which then leads me back to my first question...am I supposed to not do anything by hand?

When I pull up the "DFIELD" applet there is a field for me to put my differential equation in but it is set to take in an x' by default so should I assume I should just put it into the field?

I am still not comfortable enough to look at these problems and visualize what it asks. I don't feel like I understand what goes on in every case. It's like I am writing an essay, and I am choosing to include long and sophisticated words that while I may know their definition if singled out of context, I have no idea when and where to use it.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
When t= 4 and x= 0, x'= x- t= 0- 4= -4. That is the initial value of x' you need.

Similarly, for the second problem, with t= 6 and x= 0, x'= 0- 6= -6.

FAQ: Solving an IVP using a direction field I think

1. What is a direction field in solving an IVP?

A direction field is a graphical representation of the slope of a differential equation at different points on a graph. It is used to help visualize and approximate the solution to an initial value problem (IVP).

2. How is a direction field helpful in solving an IVP?

Direction fields provide a visual aid in determining the behavior of the solution to a differential equation. By examining the direction and magnitude of the slopes at different points, we can gain insight into the behavior of the solution and make approximations.

3. What is the process for solving an IVP using a direction field?

The first step is to plot the given initial value on the direction field. Then, we can use the direction field to sketch the approximate solution curve by following the direction of the arrows. Finally, we can use numerical or analytical methods to calculate the exact solution.

4. Can a direction field always provide an exact solution to an IVP?

No, a direction field is a visual tool that can provide an approximation of the solution to an IVP. The exact solution can be calculated using numerical or analytical methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using a direction field in solving an IVP?

Direction fields can become difficult to interpret when the slope of the differential equation is large or if the solution curve is very curved. Additionally, direction fields cannot provide an exact solution and are only useful for approximations.