Solving Complex Analysis Integral Using Residues

In summary, the contour integral around the key-hole contour begins at x=2, travels down to infinity, loops around 2, and then travels down the axis to 2 again. The integral over each leg of the contour is 2*pi*i*residue, which equals 2*pi*i*z.
KNUCK7ES

Homework Statement

compute

I=∫_2^∞ (1/(x(x-2)^.5)) dx

using the calculus of residues. be sure to choose an appropriate contour and to explain what happens on each part of that contour.

Homework Equations

transform to a complex integral

I= ∮ (1/(z(z-2)^.5)) dz

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know where to really begin. i keep ending up dividing by zero

Physics news on Phys.org
KNUCK7ES said:

Homework Statement

compute

I=∫_2^∞ (1/(x(x-2)^.5)) dx

using the calculus of residues. be sure to choose an appropriate contour and to explain what happens on each part of that contour.

Homework Equations

transform to a complex integral

I= ∮ (1/(z(z-2)^.5)) dz

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know where to really begin. i keep ending up dividing by zero

First make sure you have it clearly expressed as in:

[tex]\int_2^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x-2}}[/tex]

So how about use a key-hole contour that begins above the real-axis at x=2, travels down it to infinity, loops all the way round to right below the real axis at infinity, travles down the axis to 2 again, then loops around 2. That's a closed contour and I'll write the contour integral around that as:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{K}\frac{dz}{z\sqrt{z-2}}[/tex]

Now, can you analyze the integral over each leg of that contour (I count 4 distinct legs, two horizontal ones, that big circular one, and that real small one around 2). Keep in mind that the horizontal legs are over a branch-cut of the square root function so on top, it's one value of the branch say [itex]\sqrt{z-2}[/itex] and on bottom, it's the other value, [itex]-\sqrt{z-2}[/itex].

Last edited:
jackmell said:
First make sure you have it clearly expressed as in:

[tex]\int_2^{\infty}\frac{dx}{x\sqrt{x-2}}[/tex]

So how about use a key-hole contour that begins above the real-axis at x=2, travels down it to infinity, loops all the way round to right below the real axis at infinity, travles down the axis to 2 again, then loops around 2. That's a closed contour and I'll write the contour integral around that as:

[tex]\mathop\oint\limits_{K}\frac{dz}{z\sqrt{z-2}}[/tex]

Now, can you analyze the integral over each leg of that contour (I count 4 distinct legs, two horizontal ones, that big circular one, and that real small one around 2). Keep in mind that the horizontal legs are over a branch-cut of the square root function so on top, it's one value of the branch say [itex]\sqrt{z-2}[/itex] and on bottom, it's the other value, [itex]-\sqrt{z-2}[/itex].

ok i did so, so it the contour breaks up into for parts, Jo + JI + Jtop+ Jbottom where Jo means the outer part of the contour and JI is the inner part to the contour. Jo=JI=0. now i just do the calculus of residues on the Jtop and Jbottom, whic are

[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]

and

[itex]\int\frac{-1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]

this since the bounds are flipped, the negative sign can be canceled and the bounds are the same allowing me to add them,

2[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]

i know that there is only one sing. in my contour which is z= 0. so

2[itex]\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x-2}} dx[/itex]=2*pi*i Ʃ residues

residue= lim[itex]z\rightarrow 0[/itex] [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{z^{2}-2}}[/itex]

thanks btw

Related to Solving Complex Analysis Integral Using Residues

What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their functions. It involves the application of calculus and algebraic techniques to analyze functions of complex variables.

What are residues in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a residue is the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of a function around a singularity. It is used to evaluate complex integrals, especially those with poles or essential singularities.

What is the process for solving complex analysis integrals using residues?

The process for solving complex analysis integrals using residues involves identifying the singularities of the function, calculating the residues at each singularity, and then applying the residue theorem to evaluate the integral. This theorem states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour.

What are the applications of solving complex analysis integrals using residues?

Solving complex analysis integrals using residues has various applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics. It is used to calculate the values of definite integrals, evaluate infinite series, and solve boundary value problems in differential equations.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using residues to solve complex analysis integrals?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using residues to solve complex analysis integrals include: not correctly identifying the singularities, forgetting to include all of the residues in the final answer, and using the wrong contour or direction of integration. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the residue theorem and double-check calculations to avoid these mistakes.