Solving: cos(k+x) + cos(k-x) = c

• Thread starter bobie
  • Start date
In summary: It's called the Law of Cosines. The Law of Cosines states that secant and tangent are equal. So, your final equation would be tanx = (13 secx2- tanx2 - 12) /√48.Yes, there's a better way. Start with 2√3 cosx + sinx = √13. Divide both sides by cos(x) and then square both sides. On the right hand side you'll have 13/cos2(x). What's another way to write this? (What's 1/cos(x)?) What trigonometric identity can you apply here?Hint: Eventually you should get a very simple expression for the tangent of x.
bobie
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi, (this is not homework)

is it possible to solve an equation like this:

cos( 30° + x) +3 cos (30° - x) [0] = √13 ?

I already know x = 16°.1
do you know how to find it?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the 0 after the second cos is a typo?
It is possible, you can simplify the equation to A*cos(x) = √13 with the right A, afterwards you can solve for all x (there is more than one solution).

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
I guess the 0 after the second cos is a typo?
It is possible, you can simplify the equation to A*cos(x) = √13 with the right A, afterwards you can solve for all x (there is more than one solution).
Yes it is a typo (= 0)

Thanks,
how do I choose the right A = 3.7527368 ?, and how do I choose the right solution among the many solutions?

Can you expand cos(A+B) and cos(A-B)?

Likes 1 person
cos30cosx -sin30*sinx + 3*(cos30cosx+sin30sinx) = √13 ?

That 3 is new... then you'll need an additional phase in the cosine (or use both sine and cosine).
Anyway, you can use the trigonometric identities to simplify the problem. And you can use a computer to check your work.

Likes 1 person
I thought there might be a simple way, just out of interest.
I do not want to use a computer. Probably it is a complex procedure
Thanks for your help

bobie said:

Where did that 3 in bold come from?

bobie said:
I thought there might be a simple way, just out of interest.
I do not want to use a computer. Probably it is a complex procedure
Thanks for your help

The issue with your problem is that [itex]\sqrt{13}>2[/itex] and [itex]\cos{x}\leq 1[/itex] for all real x values, so a sum of two cosines couldn't possibly be more than 2. Your answer would be imaginary.

Mentallic said:
The issue with your problem is that [itex]\sqrt{13}>2[/itex] and [itex]\cos{x}\leq 1[/itex] for all real x values, so a sum of two cosines couldn't possibly be more than 2. Your answer would be imaginary.
Look at the original post. It now reads (emphasis mine) ##\cos(30^{\circ}+x)+\mathbf{3}\cos(30^{\circ}-x) = \surd 13##, instead of the original ##\cos(30^{\circ}+x)+\cos(30^{\circ}-x) = \surd 13##.

That factor of three makes a huge difference. The original problem did not have a solution in the reals. Add that factor of three in and real solutions do exist.bobie, when you make a mistake in formulating the question, common courtesy demands that you tell us about the mistake. There's no problem making a mistake and letting us know you made a mistake, at least if if you do so early enough. We all make mistakes, after all. There's a big problem with silently changing the formulation and not telling us about the change.

bobie said:
Correct. The left-hand side can be simplified in two ways. One is to collect terms, the other is to replace cos(30°) and sin(30°) with their numeric values. What does that leave you with?

I am awfully sorry I dropped and corrected 3 in the OP .

I found
3.4641 cosx + sinx =√13

Last edited:
That's approximately correct. You'll be much better off if you express that symbolically. Use ##\frac{\surd 3}2## instead of 0.8660254 as the cosine of 30°. This will make it possible to come up with a nice expression for your x.

2√3 cosx + sinx = √13, √12 cosx + sinx =√13

cos x = √13/12 - sinx /√12
sinx = √13 - √12 cosx

then
sinx =√1-cosx2, or is there a better way?

Last edited:
Yes, there's a better way. Start with 2√3 cosx + sinx = √13. Divide both sides by cos(x) and then square both sides. On the right hand side you'll have 13/cos2(x). What's another way to write this? (What's 1/cos(x)?) What trigonometric identity can you apply here?

Hint: Eventually you should get a very simple expression for the tangent of x.

tanx + √12= √13 secx

tanx2 + 2√12 tanx= 13 secx2 -12

2√12 tanx = 13 secx2- tanx2 - 12
tanx = (13 secx2- tanx2 - 12) /√48

Last edited:
There's a key trig identity that relates secant and tangent.

1. What is the general approach for solving equations involving cosine?

The general approach for solving equations involving cosine is to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable and find its solutions.

2. How do I solve an equation with two cosine terms?

To solve an equation with two cosine terms, you can use the identity cos(k+x) + cos(k-x) = 2cos(k)cos(x). This will allow you to rewrite the equation as a single cosine term and then you can solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the equation by plugging in different values for the variable and checking if the equation is satisfied. However, this may not give you the exact solutions and it is always recommended to use algebraic methods for a more accurate solution.

4. Are there any special cases I need to consider when solving this type of equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases that need to be considered when solving an equation with cosine terms. For example, if the equation involves a constant term or if the value of the cosine term is restricted to a certain range, these may affect the solutions of the equation.

5. Can I use the same approach to solve equations with other trigonometric functions?

Yes, you can use similar approaches to solve equations involving other trigonometric functions such as sine, tangent, and their inverse functions. However, the identities and methods used may vary for each function.