Solving Cubics with q^2-p^3<=0

• Thread starter hypermonkey2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving cubic polynomials and the various methods and techniques used to do so. There is a lot of literature and history surrounding the topic, including the famous "Cardan method" which involves eliminating a term and substituting to solve a depressed cubic. Other methods mentioned include using complex numbers and Galois theory. The conversation also touches on interesting facts about mathematicians and their contributions to the study of algebra.
hypermonkey2
Hiya. Is anyone familiar with solving cubics? Currently, i am able to to solve cubics where
[tex]q^2 - p^3>0[/tex]
however, i cannot when it is negative or equal to 0. what is the procedure?
ps. the p and q are from cardanos method. I am assuming anyone who is familiar with the method knows what they represent.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have to recognize the fact of THE IRREDUCIBLE CUBIC. There is a lot of literature on that.
Now to get off that immediate subject but to show something about cubics, well, to make a short story long, this guy Niederhoffer, author of "Education of a Speculator," wanted to make his high school math team and was asked to evaluate, where p =1/3:
[tex](2+\sqrt{5})^p+(2-\sqrt{5})^p [/tex]

Neiderhoffer said he didn't have the time to figure it out, but guess right anyway.

Last edited:
interesting. that can be done without guessing using de moivres theorem perhaps no? in any case, how does this help me? hehe.

Alright, so what are general methods that some of you use to solve cubic polynomials?

I'd like to know this too. The only one I've seen is on Wolfram's MathWorld where you make many substitutions and try to kill the x2 term. It doesn't seem particularly difficult, but very time-consuming.

I asked a professor about this once and he said that 3rd, 4th, and fifth (or higher) degree polynomials are studied in abstract algebra (Galois Theory I believe, although I don't know anything about it).

IIRC, there exists a general formula or a procedure giving all roots of any cubic equation.
You can find it in any abstract algebra textbook.

Well, with the cubic, there is the well known "Cardan method." Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx +D and eliminate the B term by the substitution: x=y-B/3A, leaving the "depressed cubic": y^3+py+q = 0. Then we substitute: y=z-p/3z and arrive at: Z^3-(p^3)/(27Z^3)+q, which allows us to solve for a quadratic in Z^3.

You can find most of this in places like "the Penguine Dictionary of Mathmatics" under "Cubic."

They are not so happy to call this the Cardan or "Cardano's method" these days since Cardan readily admitted to gaining the method from Tartaglia after promising to keep it a secret.

Interesting facts about Cardan: He admitted in his autobiography to having a real love for gambling. (See, Ore, "Cardano the Gambling Scholar." He was very brilliant and at one point considered the greatest physician in the world. He wrote many popular books and contributed to study of Algebra. He cast the horoscope of Jesus Christ, wrote a book in praise of Nero, and successfully predicted his own death. (Though his critics claim he committed suicide.)http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Cardan.html

Last edited:
robert Ihnot said:
Well, with the cubic, there is the well known "Cardan method." Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx +D and eliminate the B term by the substitution: x=y-B/3A, leaving the "depressed cubic": y^3+py+q = 0. Then we substitute: y=z-p/3z and arrive at: Z^3-(p^3)/(27Z^3)+q, which allows us to solve for a quadratic in Z^3.
You can find most of this in places like "the Penguine Dictionary of Mathmatics" under "Cubic."
They are not so happy to call this the Cardan or "Cardano's method" these days since Cardan readily admitted to gaining the method from Tartaglia after promising to keep it a secret.
Interesting facts about Cardan: He admitted in his autobiography to having a real love for gambling. (See, Ore, "Cardano the Gambling Scholar." He was very brilliant and at one point considered the greatest physician in the world. He wrote many popular books and contributed to study of Algebra. He cast the horoscope of Jesus Christ, wrote a book in praise of Nero, and successfully predicted his own death. (Though his critics claim he committed suicide.)http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Cardan.html

Fascinating! This is exactly the method i have been studying. It works wonderfully! However, in some cases when we solve the resulting quadratic, we arrive with a negative discriminant. However, in this context, it can still result in Real roots for the cubic. It is this delicacy that perplexes me.

hypermonkey2 said:
Fascinating! This is exactly the method i have been studying. It works wonderfully! However, in some cases when we solve the resulting quadratic, we arrive with a negative discriminant. However, in this context, it can still result in Real roots for the cubic. It is this delicacy that perplexes me.
You already know the algebra of complex numbers ?

Well, Galois gives the problem X^3-3X+1. Let omega = the cubic root of 1:
[tex]\omega=\frac{1+i\sqrt3}{2}[/tex]
Then Galois gives us [tex]x=\omega^(1/3) +\omega^(-1/3)[/tex]
The first part can be written as:
(cos120+isin120)^1/3=cos40 + isin40. And the second part is just the conjugate cos40-isin40, so we get:
X=2cos40.
Now if somebody were to ask, "WHY does this work?", well avoiding all complexity, one could say, "You can not trisect the angle."
Thus we have no real number expression in surds for cos40, so to get the answer we need to use De Moivre's Theorem.

PS: For the sake of completeness, if we are looking for the other roots, well when we have the form:
A^1/3 + B^1/3, by the cubic roots of unity we have the three cases: 1, w, w^2, where w =omega, the cube root of one.

So looking at distinct cases (one part multiplied by w, the other by w^2) we have also: w^4/3+w^5/3, which reduces to 2cos160=-2cos20. (In this case cos160=cos200=-cos20.) And 2cos80.

So we have three real solutions: -2cos20, 2cos40, 2cos80.

Last edited:
For the solutions x1, x2 of the quadratic equation x^2+px+q = 0, we have (since at least 825 AD) the formula x = (1/2){-p + D^(1/2)}, in terms of the coefficients p, q, where D = (x1-x2)^2 = p^2-4q. The two solutions are obtained by taking the two square roots of D. For the cubic equation x^3+px+q = 0, years of toil and some intrigue led to the publication, by Cardano in 1545, of the following formula. x =

(1/3)[{(-27q/2)+(3/2)(-3D)^(1/2)}^(1/3) - 3p/{(-27q/2) + (3/2)(-3D)^(1/2)}^(1/3)].

Fixing a value of (-3D)^(1/2), where
D = (x1- x2)^2(x1-x3)^2(x2-x3)^2 = -4p^3-27q^2, and varying the cube root gives all three solutions. Eg., in the equation x^3-1 = 0, p = 0, q = -1, D = -27, so we get x = (1/3){27/2 + 27/2}^(1/3) = {1/2 + 1/2}^(1/3) = 1^(1/3) = 1, as hoped.

Similarly, for x^3-a = 0, we have p = 0, q = -a, D = -27a^2, hence
x = (1/3){27a/2 + (3/2)(81a^2)^(1/2)}^(1/3) = (1/3){27a}^(1/3) = a^(1/3).

For x^3 - 4x = 0, we get p = -4, q = 0, D = 256, and so

x = (1/3) [{(3/2)(-768)^(1/2)}(1/3) + 12/{(3/2)(-768)^(1/2)}^(1/3)]

= (1/3) [ {(-27)(64)}^(1/6) + 12/{(-27)(64)}^(1/6) ]

= (1/3) [ 2sqrt(3) i^(1/3) + 12/{2sqrt(3) i^(1/3)} ] = (2/sqrt(3) )( i^(1/3) + i^(-1/3))

= (4/sqrt(3) )Re(i^(1/3)).

Varying the cube roots of i in this formula gives
(4/sqrt(3) )(cos(

1. What is the definition of "Solving Cubics with q^2-p^3<=0"?

Solving Cubics with q^2-p^3<=0 refers to the process of finding the roots or solutions of a cubic equation where the discriminant, represented by q^2-p^3, is less than or equal to zero. This is also known as a depressed cubic equation.

2. How is the discriminant related to solving cubic equations?

The discriminant, q^2-p^3, is a crucial factor in determining the nature of the solutions of a cubic equation. If the discriminant is greater than zero, there are three distinct real roots. If it is equal to zero, there is only one real root. And if it is less than zero, there are three complex roots.

3. What are the steps for solving a cubic equation with q^2-p^3<=0?

The first step is to rewrite the equation in the form of x^3+ax=b. Then, using the substitution x=y-p/3, the equation can be transformed into y^3+py=q. Next, solve for y using the cubic formula: y=(q/2 + ((q^2/4 + p^3/27)^1/2))^(1/3) + (q/2 - ((q^2/4 + p^3/27)^1/2))^(1/3). Finally, solve for x by substituting y back into the equation x=y-p/3.

4. Are there other methods for solving cubic equations with q^2-p^3<=0?

Yes, there are several other methods for solving cubic equations with q^2-p^3<=0, such as the Cardano method, the Tartaglia method, and the Descartes-Euler method. However, the cubic formula is the most commonly used method.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving cubics with q^2-p^3<=0?

Solving cubics with q^2-p^3<=0 has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of systems with a cubic relationship, such as the volume of a gas under varying pressure or the growth of a population over time. It can also be used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a cubic function.