Solving Direct Sum Problem: Pn=PE \oplus PO

In summary, to show that Pn is the direct sum of PE and PO, it must be shown that any arbitrary polynomial in Pn can be written as the sum of one polynomial from PE and another from PO, and that this decomposition is unique.
ahamdiheme

Homework Statement

Let Pn denote the vector space of polynomials of degree less than or equal to n, and of the form p(x)=p0+p1x+...+pnxn, where the coefficients pi are all real. Let PE denote the subspace of all even polynomials in Pn, i.e., those that satisfy the property p(-x)=p(x). Similarly, let PO denote the subspace of all odd polynomials, i.e., those satisfying p(-x)=p(x). Show that Pn=PE[tex]\oplus[/tex]PO.

Homework Equations

Conditions for direct sum.

The Attempt at a Solution

PE=p1x+...+pn-1xn-1
PO=p0+p2x2+...+pnxn
such that n[tex]\in[/tex]{even real numbers}
therefore, PE[tex]\bigcap[/tex]PO={[tex]\phi[/tex]}
and PE+PO=p0+p1x+p2x2+...+pn-1+xn-1+pnxn=Pn

is this sufficient to show that PE[tex]\oplus[/tex]PO=Pn ?

I'm not so sure of what i have done and i know that my notations may be faulty, help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that works. But the intersection of PE and PO isn't {phi}. It's {0}. You've shown that everything in Pn can be written as a sum of something from PE and something from PO. I think the other thing you need to show is that those choices are unique.

Last edited:
You have the even and odd polynomials switched.
PE=p1x+...+pn-1xn-1
PO=p0+p2x2+...+pnxn

I would represent PE as p0 + p1x + p2x^2 + ... + p2nx^2n
and PO as p1x + p3x^3 + ... + p2n-1x^(2n-1), in both cases where n is in the nonnegative integers.

To show that Pn = PE [tex]\oplus[/tex] PO, don't you have to show that any arbitrary polynomial in Pn can be written as the sum of one polynomial from PE and another from PO? I'm a little rusty on this, so there might be some more that you have to show.

Mark44 said:
You have the even and odd polynomials switched.I would represent PE as p0 + p1x + p2x^2 + ... + p2nx^2n
and PO as p1x + p3x^3 + ... + p2n-1x^(2n-1), in both cases where n is in the nonnegative integers.

To show that Pn = PE [tex]\oplus[/tex] PO, don't you have to show that any arbitrary polynomial in Pn can be written as the sum of one polynomial from PE and another from PO? I'm a little rusty on this, so there might be some more that you have to show.

Yes there is, you want to show that this decomposition is unique. E.g. Pn=Pn+PE. But that's not a direct sum.

Mark44 said:
You have the even and odd polynomials switched.

I would represent PE as p0 + p1x + p2x^2 + ... + p2nx^2n

I figured i switched them, i guess i was a litle sleepy while typing. Thanks a lot though

Related to Solving Direct Sum Problem: Pn=PE \oplus PO

1. What is the direct sum problem?

The direct sum problem is a mathematical concept that involves decomposing a vector space into two or more subspaces that do not overlap. It is often denoted as Pn=PE \oplus PO, where Pn represents the entire vector space, PE represents one subspace, and PO represents another subspace.

2. Why is solving the direct sum problem important?

Solving the direct sum problem is important because it allows us to break down a complex vector space into simpler, more manageable subspaces. This can be useful in various applications, such as linear algebra, functional analysis, and signal processing.

3. What are the steps for solving the direct sum problem?

The general steps for solving the direct sum problem Pn=PE \oplus PO are as follows:

1. Determine the dimension of the vector space Pn.
  2. Find a basis for the subspace PE and PO.
  3. Check if the basis vectors for PE and PO are linearly independent.
  4. If the basis vectors are linearly independent, then Pn=PE \oplus PO.
  5. If the basis vectors are not linearly independent, then find a new basis for PE or PO and repeat the process.

4. How is the direct sum problem related to other mathematical concepts?

The direct sum problem is closely related to concepts such as linear independence, span, and orthogonality. In fact, the concept of direct sum is often used to define these concepts in a more general setting.

5. Can the direct sum problem be extended to more than two subspaces?

Yes, the direct sum problem can be extended to any number of subspaces. For example, if we have three subspaces PE, PO, and PZ, then the direct sum problem can be written as Pn=PE \oplus PO \oplus PZ. The same steps for solving the problem can be applied, but the number of subspaces increases the complexity of the problem.