Solving Dirichlet problem on a Square

• Thread starter Scootertaj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the Dirichlet problem with boundary conditions on the unit square. The boundary data is given and the goal is to find a solution to the PDE \Deltau = 0 by inspection. The conversation suggests using separation of variables, Green's method, or variational/numerical methods. A google search and wikipedia are recommended as resources for understanding the problem and finding a solution. The conversation also mentions the importance of having a basic understanding of PDE theory before attempting to solve this problem.
Scootertaj
1. Problem Statement
Solve by inspection the Dirichlet problem, where [itex]\Omega[/itex] is the unit square 0[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]1, 0[itex]\leq[/itex] y [itex]\leq[/itex] 1, and where the data is:
f(x,y) = {
x for 0[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]1, y=0,
1 for x = 1, 0[itex]\leq[/itex] y [itex]\leq[/itex] 1,
x for 0[itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex]1, y=1,
0 for x=0, 0[itex]\leq[/itex]y[itex]\leq[/itex]1

Homework Equations

Dirichlet Problem:

[itex]\Delta[/itex] u = 0 in [itex]\Omega[/itex]
u = f on d[itex]\Omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to really start with this one. What does it mean "solve by inspection the dirichlet problem?" What is u? How does the "data" help, it's the initial conditions right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the boundary conditions. How much PDE theory do you know?

Almost nothing, sadly. I have had only one lecture in it so far and that was just going over the three main operators in PDEs.
Is there a good website that shows how to solve the Dirichlet problem with boundary conditions or just how to solve a problem with boundary conditions?

So if I mention separation of variables, this would draw a blank to you? It sounds like you need to go to a few more lectures before you start looking at the questions.

Have you tried a google search? It would be the first thing I would do.

hunt_mat said:
So if I mention separation of variables, this would draw a blank to you? It sounds like you need to go to a few more lectures before you start looking at the questions.

Have you tried a google search? It would be the first thing I would do.

Unfortunately, mainly yes. I do know that we will be covering three main methods: Separation of Variables, Green's Method, and Variational/Numerical methods, but we haven't even discussed what each means. It isn't even until next week we start discussing the separation of variables though.

I did a google search for solving differential equations using boundary conditions and it made sense. Specifically, I used http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/BoundaryValueProblem.aspx"
A google search of dirichlet problem did no good.

I suppose I'll just have to keep reading, thank you for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a search on wikipedia?

hunt_mat said:
How about a search on wikipedia?

I came across http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_boundary_condition" .
So, what I'm getting from it is I need to find a solution to a PDE based on the boundary conditions given. Is my PDE [itex]\Delta[/itex]u = 0 in the unit square and u = f where f is our data?
I'm just confused on where to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically yes, your f is your boundary data. Like I said you're probablt jumping into the problems a little too early.

Yet the original question was to solve that Dirichlet problem by inspection. By examining the values on the boundary of the square, it really isn't much to ask to guess a solution, never mind the lack of advanced techniques available.

How would you go about that?

Scootertaj said:
How would you go about that?

Is there a simple function in the square that fits your data on the boundary of the square? Does that function solve the Laplace equation 'by inspection'?

1. What is the Dirichlet problem on a square?

The Dirichlet problem on a square is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies certain boundary conditions on a square-shaped domain. The solution to this problem is important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What are the boundary conditions for the Dirichlet problem on a square?

The boundary conditions for the Dirichlet problem on a square are the values of the unknown function on the boundary of the square. These values are typically given as part of the problem and are used to determine the solution.

3. How is the Dirichlet problem on a square solved?

The Dirichlet problem on a square is typically solved using techniques from the field of partial differential equations. These techniques involve finding a solution that satisfies both the boundary conditions and the equation governing the behavior of the unknown function.

4. What are some applications of solving the Dirichlet problem on a square?

The solution to the Dirichlet problem on a square has many applications in science and engineering. For example, it can be used to model heat transfer in a square-shaped object, to determine the electric potential in a square-shaped region, or to solve other types of physical problems on a square domain.

5. Are there any challenges in solving the Dirichlet problem on a square?

Yes, there are several challenges in solving the Dirichlet problem on a square. One of the main challenges is determining whether a solution exists and, if so, whether it is unique. Additionally, finding an analytical solution to the problem is often difficult, so numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution.